• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MId Year - Coin Goals check

6 posts in this topic

How is everybody doing against their collecting goals ?

I am a "planner", others may not budget and target goals to the extent I do, so with tomorrow the last day of June, for me, its time to make sure basically on-track with annual goals.

Right now I'm way ahead overall, only behind on my Buffalo Set and my 19th century Type Set. My Flying Eagle Cent variety set also stagnant as is my small cent pattern custom set, but these not the highest priority, and I will wait for opportunities down the road.

Biggest unplanned purchase was my Saddle Ridge buy, and biggest disappointment was my failed bid on the Newman Colonial Coppers sale, I really wanted one of the NJ Horse Heads for my collection, the Newman pedigree a nice bonus, but not to be...yet. I've done my NJ Copper research and will now wait for another buying opportunity. Good news is that the failed Newman bid led to my buying a Saddle Ridge piece, so I'm always staying flexible and watching for opportunities.

Attached is a pic of a NJ Newman Horse run wild

Finally, I wish everyone continued learning and success in whatever it is you collect. Lots of positive enthusiasm on this board and always great sharing with others.

Cheers !

Rich

15649.jpg

See more journals by RichH

I would say I have added more coins in May and June than the 1'st 4 months. As usual I don't plan to get any particular coins. Some sales and trades have added a large group to my keepers. That in turn adds to my sales sets. :)

Happy Coin Collecting!!

Rick

Congratulations Rich on sticking to your goals, as for me...

Let's see. I'm on track with my annual Britannia set although that set is pretty tough with all the varieties this year. Regardless, I was able to get a raw Britannia mule on the cheap and hit the jackpot with a MS-69 submission.

I've added a few coins to my type set and currently have one in the mail I'll show in a post when it arrives. However, I have some large non-coin related expenditures on the horizon that will put the kibosh on future purchases for the rest of the year. I know, I say that all the time but end up buying anyway, except this time I'm going to have to find a way to follow through.

A coin from the Saddle Ridge Hoard was also my big surprise of the year. For some reason I have a fascination with coins that have an interesting pedigree, especially shipwrecks and buried treasure.

Finally, I've added several coins to my theme based set, "The Use of Seated Imagery in Numismatics". Most of the new coins in this set I bought raw late last year or early this year. Recently, I sent those coins to NGC for grading and I am very happy with the results.

New for me and this set is the addition of a few ancients. One of the purposes of my seated imagery set is to draw comparisons between the design elements of ancient coins with those of more modern coins. Thus, I anticipate adding a small number of ancient coins to my collection in the future.

Hmm, that's about it. Happy collecting all!

Gary

Rich- you are really starting to branch out in your collecting- I don't remember that you ever mentioned an interest in early coppers before. Finding a little extra time for coin hunting now that you are retired?

Dave- got Michael Demling's NJ Coppers book last Christmas and have been researching - just want one for type.

Cheers!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm glad to hear that you're meeting your goals my friend. I think I'm doing alright. I have the last two coins needed for a 100% competitive completion on my Ottoman 20 Para set off at NGC right now. I also ordered this year's proof ASE from the mint, so I've added to my newest set as well though I'll be waiting a while before I do any US submissions so that NGC can work through some of that enormous pile of Baseball coins that are slowing down turnaround times. I've also started working on finishing my BU Mexican Silver Libertad set......this set is in a Dansco currently, and is the oldest of my pursuits that I still own. I started this set in 2000, and I needed 9 more dates, so I started looking for them....and I see why it's those 9 that I'm lacking and why I walked away for a while......those dates are some of the toughest to find without extensive bag marks and with good overall eye appeal and I'm quite picky with my Libertads. I did manage to find a gorgeous 2001 on Ebay though, so I was able to knock the number I need down to 8 and I sent a bunch in for grading recently. So I think I'm at a good place mid-year!

~Tom