• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1894-S $1 - REVEALED

18 posts in this topic

I moved the images in Photobucket accidentally; thus, the images have now been restored. Are there any other guesses before I reveal?

Thanks to everyone who has participated. I am not surprised by the spread I see here, and I expected that the grades would be all over because of the marks on the cheek.

I moved the images in Photobucket accidentally; thus, the images have now been restored. Are there any other guesses before I reveal?

Thanks to everyone who has participated. I am not surprised by the spread I see here, and I expected that the grades would be all over because of the marks on the cheek.

Reveal it man. I want to see how I did on my guess. I still think it's a 62 maybe low 63

MS64 without the hits in focal areas. Strong hits, MS63.

I think it is interesting that everyone is focusing on the hits, rather what is to the right of the hits. There are some horizontal striations consistent with slide marks (or perhaps roller marks). That's the biggest distraction for me personally, and the one that I considered in determining trade in value (I accepted this piece as a trade for an Indian Head cent that I didn't want) - so I think it was a fair transaction overall.

I can't find the slab shots, but it resides in a new generation NGC MS64 holder.

MS64 without the hits in focal areas. Strong hits, MS63.

I think it is interesting that everyone is focusing on the hits, rather what is to the right of the hits. There are some horizontal striations consistent with slide marks (or perhaps roller marks). That's the biggest distraction for me personally, and the one that I considered in determining trade in value (I accepted this piece as a trade for an Indian Head cent that I didn't want) - so I think it was a fair transaction overall.

I can't find the slab shots, but it resides in a new generation NGC MS64 holder.

"Horizontal striations" or "roller marks" are not properly said to be consistent with "slide marks", which are man made, rather than mint made. I have seen roller marks on quite a few 1894-S Dollars and unless they are abnormally obtrusive, they would not negatively impact the coin's grade.