• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Type-2 Buffalo Nickel with Neck Growth & Whiskers

13 posts in this topic

I recently came across a 1913 Type-2 Buffalo nickel with what appears to be a neck growth and whiskers.

On the reverse at EPU there appears to be a die clash from the chin/neck area of the Indian.

I note in David Lange's The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels book that there is a 1913-S Type-1 variety similar to this.

Has anyone heard of this variety for the 1913 Type-2?

1913obv.jpg

1913rev.jpg

Those are common clash marks in the buffalo series. I have found many dates with such clash marks, the most dramatic of which was a 13-S T2 where E PLURIBUS UNUM was legible below the chin of the Indian. Typically one finds clash marks above the back of the bison in such cases and at time below the belly and neck of the bison. To have found it on a 13 T2 is not surprising.

Hoot

He said it was a clashed die and what was seen was the result of EPU on the reverse. He said they were somewhat common and there isn't much of a premium.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just to follow up on Greg's post, this form of clashing is very common on Buffalos. The Latin motto appears inverted at the Indian's chin (called "chin whiskers"), while an inverted impression of his chin may be seen on the bison's back. Lapping the dies to remove such clashmarks can eliminate some of their shallower features. This leads to the 3-legged and 3-1/2-legged varieties, as well as the 2-feather obverses.