• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank you to James_EarlyUS Auction Catalog Arrived !

14 posts in this topic

I miss getting auction catalogs... At what point did auction houses stop sending out free ones ? I just remember I use to get a ton of them 10-12 yrs ago and then nothing.

None-the-less a big thank you to James for the offer of the Scotsman catalog. There is a definite new auction catalog smell when you open one up and start reading through the descriptions. It almost requires you to be seated in an old comfortable leather chair next to a fireplace sipping on a good scotch or cognac as you flip through the pages.

And to keep it coin related...

Love the description of these coins... lol

NGC notes "cleaning" for each, but in no case are the signs obvious. Indeed, any one (or more) of these might well get certified at "another" grading service, if you know what I mean. Included are 1927-D (cleaning? ha, where, INSIDE the coin?), 1928-S (wispy hairlines mostly horizontal across the cheek), 1934-D (perhaps very slightly bright and very slightly glossy with a few stray hairlines in and above the date area), and a second 1934-D (light hairlines that Scotsman has dated to August 13 1936 through the use of exclusive Polonium half-life-dating technology). Perhaps we should include a free hammer with this four coin lot.

And to keep it coin related...

Love the description of these coins... lol

NGC notes "cleaning" for each, but in no case are the signs obvious. Indeed, any one (or more) of these might well get certified at "another" grading service, if you know what I mean. Included are 1927-D (cleaning? ha, where, INSIDE the coin?), 1928-S (wispy hairlines mostly horizontal across the cheek), 1934-D (perhaps very slightly bright and very slightly glossy with a few stray hairlines in and above the date area), and a second 1934-D (light hairlines that Scotsman has dated to August 13 1936 through the use of exclusive Polonium half-life-dating technology). Perhaps we should include a free hammer with this four coin lot.

:roflmao:

I have to agree that the catalog is just absolutely amazing. Yes... the smell of a good coin catalog just does something for me! :)

James, thanks so much!

At what point did auction houses stop sending out free ones ?

I still get free ones from The Goldbergs, and from DNW. Stacks was the one that mystified me. I couldn't get catalogs out of them even when I offered to pay for them.

got mine today thank you james!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the coin photography is above average way above average and the descriptions are fun to read and honest...........................

better than any other auction house in the biz in my humble opinion

also many coin facts and commentS built into the descriptions that make this catalogue a keeper

THANKS AGAIN JAMES (thumbs u

Several years ago, I would receive the semi-annual catalogs, and I had fun trying to guess which descriptions were written by James. I always liked that he didn't pull any punches in his descriptions. He always called it as he saw it.

Chris

:golfclap::grin: