• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1851 Seated Liberty Dollar

23 posts in this topic

What say you? My immediate thoughts when I got the call was this it was a fake just because of the rarity. Got some pictures sent to me, date looks funky to me. What do the professionals say?

These aren't the best pictures but they're better than some you see on ebay! lol

imagejpeg_5_zps8otafps_edit_1403209112740_zpsq9hb4bje.jpg

imagejpeg_2_zpsvoh9xc4_edit_1403208900633_zpsndctwife.jpg

imagejpeg_4_zpsvgodelo_edit_1403209014717_zpsptpilhss.jpg

imagejpeg_3_zpsg7bulz1_edit_1403208975476_zpsnn7vofgg.jpg

"the 8 in the date seems to be melting."

That's the famous "Wicked Witch of the West" variety...?

Did you notice it has a O mintmark?

New Orleans did not strike dollars in 1851. There is only one known "1851 O" dollar and it is an 1851 restrike that used an O mint dollar for the planchet. On it the O mintmark is distorted and almost completely flattened from the restriking.

Your has a full rounded O mintmark, that's enough to mark it as a fake.

New Orleans did not strike dollars in 1851. There is only one known "1851 O" dollar and it is an 1851 restrike that used an O mint dollar for the planchet. On it the O mintmark is distorted and almost completely flattened from the restriking.

This.

That's not an "O" -- it's an eagle egg. Soon there will be little quarters and halves hatching....

At first glance I thought I saw that "O" you speak of however I think it is something else. Anyway the coin is fake.

Chinese counterfeit.

No…that can’t be right….? It must be one of those fantasy coins – and thus certainly not a counterfeit? It was assuredly not intended to defraud anyone…?

Chinese counterfeit.

No…that can’t be right….? It must be one of those fantasy coins – and thus certainly not a counterfeit? It was assuredly not intended to defraud anyone…?

The Chinese are well known for making non-existent date and mint mark combinations. Would you like to have an 1888-CC Morgan dollar? There is a Chinese version available for you. Why not use a perfectly good reverse die? Just because it was never issued is no reason to forego the opportunity. ;)

I'm glad I could bring some fun like I said I immediately considered it a fake. In fact when I told the seller it was fake they still wouldn't believe me. They supposedly tried the magnet test with no luck. I finally told her that if it were real I would have easily offered her $1000 for the coin and drove the hour to pick it up.

That thing is duller than Pat Boone singing at a Hip-Hop concert.

:roflmao: Got my good laugh for the day. I too think it looks a bit dull, like some off metal copy. Just my opinion as I sure am no expert with these particular series.

"Boone, the 10th best selling recording artist of all time, is an actor and entertainer, and San Diego-based S1L says it selected Boone over other candidates for his 'reach' to the senior demographic, which has remained 'incredibly strong.'"

Well, it's reassuring to know I'm not part of that demographic!

Did he sing something about "blue suede shoes?" It seems appropriate that "a No. 1 single in 1956 by Boone was ... I Almost Lost My Mind."

Uh...who's Pat Boone? Dani'l Boone's great-great-grandson?

Close, add a couple more Great's in there.

At first glance I thought I saw that "O" you speak of however I think it is something else.

If you enlarge the images it is clearly an O. Or an eagles egg.

If you enlarge the images it is clearly an O. Or an eagles egg.

At first glance I thought I saw that "O" you speak of however I think it is something else. Anyway the coin is fake.

You mean the ultra rare defecating eagle variety? :baiting:

Chinese counterfeit.

RWB, we think too much alike. lol By the flawed logic of some, since the 1851-O never existed, it must be okay despite the fact that it was made to resemble a genuine Seated Liberty Dollar... :facepalm: