• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - 1921 Peace $ Grade Posted --

55 posts in this topic

I wouldn't even begin to guess without seeing it in-hand. The 21 is tricky when it comes to wear vs. strike. A little toning on this one makes luster very hard to discern. My initial gut reaction was in the XF40 range. I have very, very little confidence in that guess.

Are we looking at a scan of the coin? It's really really hard to tell from those images...so I won't even embarass myself and guess. (shrug)

Are we looking at a scan of the coin? It's really really hard to tell from those images...so I won't even embarass myself and guess. (shrug)

Not a scan thats a photo...

I would go with XF 45. It seems like a higher end XF, but I will not give it AU because the eye appeal is poor with the coin.

Eye-appeal should not affect the grade of a circulated coin in that fashion.

If it's an AU in terms of wear - and it is at least that - negative eye-appeal should not knock it down to an X.F.

To the OP - I think I have it narrowed down to somewhere between an AU53 and an MS63. :devil:

I would go with XF 45. It seems like a higher end XF, but I will not give it AU because the eye appeal is poor with the coin.

If it's an AU in terms of wear - and it is at least that - negative eye-appeal should not knock it down to an X.F.

To the OP - I think I have it narrowed down to somewhere between an AU53 and an MS63. :devil:

It can't be MS. That's a too liberal grade.

It can't be MS. That's a too liberal grade.

The images don't lend themselves to a good look at the coin. But, based on what can be seen, three of us who have posted wouldn't be surprised if the coin is graded higher than MS62. And the other two guys in my camp know their stuff.

What about luster? Even if the coin has the "meat" of an AU piece, if the luster isn't there, it should grade no better than EF (or am I missing something?).

But the best way to go when guessing a grade is conservative. If it is undergraded, then it's great for the owner of the coin; but if it is optimistically graded, then it is not going to pan out too well.

I disagree. We aren't making offers on the coin. We were asked to guess the grade. That being the case, guessing too low is no better or smarter than guessing too high.

What about luster? Even if the coin has the "meat" of an AU piece, if the luster isn't there, it should grade no better than EF (or am I missing something?).

Luster can certainly make a difference. But 1) the poster to whom I replied did not mention that. And 2) the coin looks to have more than enough luster for an AU (or higher) grade.

As we know, 21 Peace dollars can be very tough even with really good images.

I think Marks original guess of AU53 to MS63 is about as good as one could do with the pics provided.

I once purchased a raw 21, with fuzzy pics on eBay, for low AU money. It looked like the typical weak strike but I felt I could see enough of the coin to "take a chance". In hand it was obviously uncirculated.

I submitted it and it came back MS64!

Fuzzy pics and 1921 Peace dollars are not a good combination....most of the time ;)

"I once purchased a raw 21, with fuzzy pics on eBay, for low AU money. It looked like the typical weak strike but I felt I could see enough of the coin to "take a chance". In hand it was obviously uncirculated."

I have had similar experiences with Proxibid auctions, especially when there are no in-house bidders who can see the coin in hand - and not just with Peace Dollars.

Poor images can certainly work to your advantage.

I believe that is a misnomer regarding luster. While luster is usually required for an AU grade there are solid AU coins out there with no luster. I once owned a PCGS AU55 Seated S$1 without a speck of luster on it. It was darker than night too!

;)

I believe that is a misnomer regarding luster. While luster is usually required for an AU grade there are solid AU coins out there with no luster. I once owned a PCGS AU55 Seated S$1 without a speck of luster on it. It was darker than night too!

;)

I have seen a number of coins of various uncirculated grades, whose descriptions were probably a good match for that coin. ;)

Well is seems like there is little consensus on this coin... XF to MS 63

Yes - 21's are hard to grade. Yes - coins are hard to grade from photos/scans...

But I would have guessed this coin was only AU 50-53 as well - maybe a 55 but that would be it. I would have never have thought it was a 64 and green bean no less... Thats quite an ugly coin for a CAC sticker.

And as for Jersey's guess - I am throwing out 'cause he knew the grade from looking on Ebay ! Dont deny it either Jersey !! lol

slab.jpg

Well is seems like there is little consensus on this coin... XF to MS 63

Yes - 21's are hard to grade. Yes - coins are hard to grade from photos/scans...

But I would have guessed this coin was only AU 50-53 as well - maybe a 55 but that would be it. I would have never have thought it was a 64 and green bean no less... Thats quite an ugly coin for a CAC sticker.

And as for Jersey's guess - I am throwing out 'cause he knew the grade from looking on Ebay ! Dont deny it either Jersey !! lol

I will take the sight-seen opinion of NGC, CAC or PCGS over image-based grade guesses, just about any time. That said, it doesn't mean I will necessarily like the coin.

I will take the sight-seen opinion of NGC, CAC or PCGS over image-based grade guesses, just about any time. That said, it doesn't mean I will necessarily like the coin.

You're not saying that PCGS and CAC are infallible though are you ?