• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new proof Morgan

34 posts in this topic

This pattern dollar completes my 1879 silver Morgan pattern set and I would like to thank Rick Kay for making it possible. laugh.gif

Hard to imagine but it took 10 years to complete this 7 coin set. Now on to the copper set! confused.gif

1613xPCGSxprx68.jpg

Bruce- I am not sure about the history of this coin. It has a definite Garrett "look" to it but it doesn't match the color plate from the 1980 auction catalog. I guess I will need to keep looking? laugh.gif

Mark

That is a nice coin. If they are all of the apparent quality of this piece then I am surprised it only took you ten years to complete.

I do not even want to think about how much a coin like that cost............all I can say is that I am glad you were able to find it and add it to you collection as it couldn't have a better home hail.gif

What a truly superb piece! Congratulations on finishing such a fine set. I always enjoy seeing the superlative pieces that you collect.

The reverse of that piece is much more attractive than what was finally chosen as the circulation piece. This is true for several of the Morgan patterns. I just can't figure why they settled on the clipped-winged eagle.

Hoot

WOW! Sweet looking coin! Where is Demi Moore when you need her?!?

EVP

Trapped in a sort-of "coin time bubble" duking it out with James T. Kirk.

Hoot

I hate to double post, but this coin warrants it.......................................Mark would you adopt me????

I am house broken, I don't chew on furniture, and with my new braces on, I eat very little......................you won't even know I am there flowerred.gif

bumpit.gif

I hate to double post, but this coin warrants it.......................................Mark would you adopt me????

I am house broken, I don't chew on furniture, and with my new braces on, I eat very little......................you won't even know I am there flowerred.gif

bumpit.gif

screwy.gif

Mark-

That is an absolutely awesome piece! hail.gif

Congrats on the complete set thumbsup2.gif

There is nothing I can add to the list of adjectives already posted about this coin. It's....

Now a question, why a 1879 silver Morgan pattern set? That seems like an unusual choice for a set.

Here are the rest of the coins from my set. As you can see it is not exactly a "matched" set but it is the best I could do on short notice. laugh.gif The 1586 silver dime is very nice for the grade with a 65 obverse coupled with a 64 reverse so it doesn't look too out of place.

Morganx1879xset.jpg

Greg- Here is the only explanation I've seen for the creation of the 1879 patterns. 1879 Pattern Sets

Here are the rest of the coins from my set. As you can see it is not exactly a "matched" set but it is the best I could do on short notice. laugh.gif The 1586 silver dime is very nice for the grade with a 65 obverse coupled with a 64 reverse so it doesn't look too out of place.

Morganx1879xset.jpg

Actually, Boiler, Proof 64 Cameo is my favorite grade for 19th century proofs since the eye-appeal is usually there and it matches my budget better.

...an incredible set. Very fascinating!!

Hoot

Here are the dimes from my set. The image also includes the copper coins. This is an old image before I "upgraded" the 1588 (lower left coin. I traded my PCGS 67 dcam for a PCGS 66 dcam straight up. I know some people would not consider this an upgrade but the 66 coin has stunning eye appeal.

MorganxDimexset.jpg

1588xxPCGSx66xdcam.jpg

That is one neat set! Can you provide photos of the reverses also?

-JamminJ

Those are exceptional! And they beat Barber's dimes all to heck! Too bad Barber was in such control over the superior artist, Morgan. smirk.gif

I know what you mean about "downgrading for an upgrade." laugh.gif I've done it a few times myself.

Hoot

EVP- My 1614 isn't designated as a cameo but it certainly is. As far as I know PCGS only uses the cam/dcam designation on red copper. This particular coin is also much closer to full red than red brown.

Mark