• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of scale should be used?

8 posts in this topic

I want to measure my silver coins to make sure $1 FV is 25 grams I would preferably like one that goes to the .01 of a gram for accuracy. If anyone here knows of a good one to buy let me know. I am looking for less than $100 preferably less than $50. Thanks to all!

The gross weight of uncirculated 90% silver dimes, quarters and halves is 25 grams per dollar. Circulated coins will weigh less, and that is just the way it is. Not worth worrying about unless the coins are excessively worn.

If you do want full weight, uncirculated coins, expect to pay a premium for them. However, do not expect to get a premium for them when you sell them.

An alternative idea is to tube the coins. When they fill up the tube, you have the equivalent of a roll, even if it took 60 coins (instead of 50) to top off the tube.

We pay less for extremely slick silver because as you state, the silver content can be quite a bit less than for normally worn coins. Barber dimes are a classic example. I've seen instances where it took 70 very slick dimes to fill a 50 coin tube.

I once weighed a batch of slick Barber silver and found it to be approx. 7% light by weight. It loses thickness faster than weight, because the design is full of voids.