• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade -1958 toned Franklin Half Dollar (GRADE REVEALED)

18 posts in this topic

Nice coin I am partial to blue toning on coins

I would guess a 65 since the luster looks a little muted on the obverse, however if the obverse luster looks more like the reverse I would go 66

Is it just the photo, or is a lot of rim missing?

The photo is spot on except I believe the luster is stronger than the images might suggest. With that said, the rim looks completely normal to me.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I will post the old ANACS grade in a couple of days. I posted it because I'm contemplating a crossover to PCGS.

"I think the thick insert of the older label is what you are seeing"

If that is the case, I would never buy the coin based on the photo, nor try to grade it.

Thanks, I was beginning to think Alzheimer’s was setting in.

Franklin halves were often struck with a very narrow rim in some places, causing a wider gap between the rim and edge. I'm not sure if it's caused by an off-center strike, or misaligned dies, but the phenomenon is absolutely real. This is most often seen on 1960s dates, but this 1958 clearly shows the anomaly.

The shadow effect caused by the full gasket NGC holder is also hiding some detail in these images.

Franklin halves were often struck with a very narrow rim in some places, causing a wider gap between the rim and edge. I'm not sure if it's caused by an off-center strike, or misaligned dies, but the phenomenon is absolutely real. This is most often seen on 1960s dates, but this 1958 clearly shows the anomaly.

The shadow effect caused by the full gasket NGC holder is also hiding some detail in these images.

It's not in an NGC holder -- it's in an ANACS holder -- as the OP stated.

"The shadow effect caused by the full gasket NGC holder is also hiding some detail in these images."

Assuming that there is no damage to the hidden areas, I would guess MS65+ or possibly MS66.

MS67

Old ANACS called this MS67, and I felt that it had a shot to cross at grade (and certainly within a point), but wanted to know whether this was the product of my own bias so I started this thread. Thanks to everyone who responded!

52_obv_slab_SC_zps366b6cbd.jpg