• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crescent Toned Peace $ ???

25 posts in this topic

I see a faint crescent on the reverse - does anyone else ?

No idea how it will look when it shows up but for $40 you really cant go wrong. It looks like a 63/64.

If it is a crescent that will be pretty cool. This would only be the 4th crescent toned Peace $ Ive come across in 15 yrs.

peace_O.jpg

peace_R.jpg

I see a faint crescent on the reverse - does anyone else ?

No idea how it will look when it shows up but for $40 you really cant go wrong. It looks like a 63/64.

If it is a crescent that will be pretty cool. This would only be the 4th crescent toned Peace $ Ive come across in 15 yrs.

I agree that the coin is crescent toned. I hope you provide updated photos so we can see it in hand.

With regards to crescent toners, I don't think they are quite as rare as you think on the Peace Dollar (based on your comment about seeing 4 in 15 years). I own at least 3, including two that I don't think I have ever posted to the boards. I'll have to get Shane to image them - I'm getting ready to send him a bunch of stuff.

With regards to crescent toners, I don't think they are quite as rare as you think on the Peace Dollar (based on your comment about seeing 4 in 15 years). I own at least 3, including two that I don't think I have ever posted to the boards. I'll have to get Shane to image them - I'm getting ready to send him a bunch of stuff.

Post photos. Unless there's a bag of them on east coast I can honestly say they are rare. However all of the shows Ive been to have been on the West Coast. Maybe there's more to be found on the east coast. Ive only see a handful. If you have three true crescents congrats. I think a bag toned Peace $ are quite rare. Try finding a Peace $ will full textile/dimple on the obverse/reverse. Ive only found two.

BTW what I mean by crescent - it has to be from bag toning. Ive seen crescent shaped toning on coins that have come from albums but I dont consider that a true crescent. When I say crescent I mean crescent as in Morgan $. Sorry if I wasnt clear about that earlier.

Post photos. Unless there's a bag of them on east coast I can honestly say they are rare. However all of the shows Ive been to have been on the West Coast. Maybe there's more to be found on the east coast. Ive only see a handful. If you have three true crescents congrats. I think a bag toned Peace $ are quite rare. Try finding a Peace $ will full textile/dimple on the obverse/reverse. Ive only found two.

BTW what I mean by crescent - it has to be from bag toning. Ive seen crescent shaped toning on coins that have come from albums but I dont consider that a true crescent. When I say crescent I mean crescent as in Morgan $. Sorry if I wasnt clear about that earlier.

I interpreted your statements to mean bag toned coins only. Here is the only piece that I currently have imaged. You can see the clear outline of a second coin even though the toning is quite light in color in some places.

1923PeaceDollarCombined_zpsd4264b35.jpg

You mean the crescent on the front of the coin ? Yes I can see the outline.

Too bad the reverse wasnt a crescent with those colors. None-the-less she is still beautiful.

I still dont see how you call that not rare though.

Is this not a crescent toned coin like you are talking about? It brought a whopping $46.00 in my auction just a while back when I sold it.

177363-1.jpg

$46 for a 64+ ?? Wow that sucks for you but someone scored a great deal.

But yes I dont know if that is bag toned. Thats one that I think could be album toned with a crescent shape.

The coin I posted looks like it was in a bag, picked up a crescent and then someone put the coin in an album that only toned the rest of the reverse. Otherwise I have no other explanation how the crescent got there and then the rest of the reverse picks up the slight russet/brown color it has.

Yeah no doubt. I should have got the PCGS Listed Full Value of $78.00 for that one easy ... if not more, since these are rare. :facepalm:

Yeah no doubt. I should have got the PCGS Listed Full Value of $78.00 for that one easy ... if not more, since these are rare. :facepalm:

What does the reverse look like ? The obverse looks like a true 65.

A. There are no "rare" Peace dollars by date or mint.

B. Most Peace dollars with toning look like wdrob's coin or the one posted in the OP.

C. The few with interesting, attractive toning are difficult to locate but most are not in plastic slabs - the cost of plastic exceeds that of the coin.

Just some thoughts....

I didn't think it had the luster or eye appeal even for a MS64+ ...

obverse01.jpg

Reverse02.jpg

Surfaces are very nice. Perhaps the luster didn't have enough "pizazz" for a buyer to drive the price higher for you, but I like that look very much, way moreso than a dipped out and lifeless piece. Luster is wonderful but I don't care for the kind brought about by strippin and dippin. :)

I just bought this on eBay 2 weeks ago for $25 and free shipping.

Sellers pic.

It has a legitimate multi-color crescent. Fits great in my Toned Peace Dansco set i've been building. Has some hits on the obverse but its BU nonetheless.

I've been finding some great raw Peace color on eBay lately for cheap.

12.JPG

A. There are no "rare" Peace dollars by date or mint.

B. Most Peace dollars with toning look like wdrob's coin or the one posted in the OP.

C. The few with interesting, attractive toning are difficult to locate but most are not in plastic slabs - the cost of plastic exceeds that of the coin.

Just some thoughts....

Arent you the guy that wrote the book on Peace $ ???

Please say no... and Im just confusing you with the guy that did.

I just bought this on eBay 2 weeks ago for $25 and free shipping.

Sellers pic.

It has a legitimate multi-color crescent. Fits great in my Toned Peace Dansco set i've been building. Has some hits on the obverse but its BU nonetheless.

12.JPG

Score !! Very nice coin... can you get some more lighting on the toned area ? It looks like it has some really nice color.

Congrats.

I think to qualify as a "crescent" of any kind, by its definition, the center of the "original" circle (the coin) should not be included in the shape that is enclosed by the 2 arcs (the toned area).

i guess in other words, a crescent toning, for example, usually covers less than 50% of the coin.

but I'm not 100% sure if it HAS TO BE or just MOSTLY IS.

that peace dollar is BEAUTIFUL nonetheless!

Too bad the reverse wasnt a crescent with those colors. None-the-less she is still beautiful.

?

cresc_zps177306ff.jpg

Yeah I dont see that. You have a clearly defined crescent on the obverse though.

I think what you have is a bag toned crescent obverse while the reverse of your coin laid up against/near a fold or the side of the canvas bank bag - thus giving it the color you have.

I suppose a double crescent on two different sides of a coin is physically possible but highly unusual. Ive seen double crescent Morgans but both crescents are on one side of the coin.

I couldnt agree more.... this is a 25-S that I picked up for $38.

For those not familiar 25-S are hard to find with any color...very hard to find even with somewhat attractive color and impossible to find with vibrant rainbow color.

Im pretty sure this is NT and has some nice icy blues, golds and russets. Hard to tell from the fuzzy photos but it looks clean and has a nice strike. Luster looks pretty good too but these usually have great luster. I think it will grade 61-63... so its a $100 to $300 coin without the color.

25_SO.png

25_SR.png