• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP! it is the prettiest toned walker I've ever owned

32 posts in this topic

I already posted the (seller's) pics on the "most recent acquisition" thread, but I just got the coin and WOW it looks so much better in hand!

This must be the BEST LOOKING toned walker that I've owned that is not a proof. My pics are not MUCH better (poor quality iPhone camera, and the only lights are the fluorescents in the ceiling), but it at least shows the luster, and the color is very close. The areas that look a bit dark, are just under lighted.

(It is graded PCGS MS65)

Post some of your colorfully toned walking liberty halves in the comments!

0D6E3638-1166-4D31-BF5B-30A78DB93645_zpsgcf1imqg.jpg

80C5E923-34B8-43BD-8D15-5DA4A2F518F3_zpsuzber4jp.jpg

A1AECEF3-7870-4819-B83D-53944485A80E_zpsl12pufll.jpg

I think PCGS got it wrong, that looks AT to me. For starters, the color pattern is off. Notice how it goes from green to pink, then green to purple. That's a red flag. It should go from green to periwinkle, since it's a concentric pattern. A lot of collectors don't know know that. A lot of them don't even know what periwinkle is.

EDIT: Nice coin! :)

I think PCGS got it wrong, that looks AT to me. For starters, the color pattern is off. Notice how it goes from green to pink, then green to purple. That's a red flag. It should go from green to periwinkle, since it's a concentric pattern. A lot of collectors don't know know that. A lot of them don't even know what periwinkle is.

WOW... LMAO

Beautiful coin!

AT was my first thought

Just does not look right but it may be the pics

That was my first thought, as well, though I realize it could be the imaging.

I remember reading about the color progression patterns at John E Cash's website, and he had all the colors listed by order (and divided by cycles), it was similar to the pattern you described and yes it looks a bit different than my coin here.

But I also remember he noted that these patterns are how a TYPICAL bag-toned Morgan tones. He put the word TYPICAL in all caps (I guess to make it clear that not ALL bag toned Morgans will tone in the same pattern). And again, it was for MORGANS, and BAG TONED ones..

In any case, I think I'll need to have this coin imaged for me, and then post a pic again, since the bad quality + bad lighting makes it look a little different (for example, if I saw the first pic alone, I might have called it AT as well).

P.S I have to admit I had to google the word "periwinkle". Although English is not my first language, I've been living in the US for 7+ years now and never heard this word before.. So at least I learnt something new today :)

I agree with KD on this one as well. The colors flow over the devices...something I don't like. But, hey, who cares? As long as you like it!

I like the 38 much more...cooool....

jom

Beautiful coin and at least PCGS thought it's MA. And I am sure there are a lot of others that would buy it from you if you every thought about selling it.

PCGS must have decided the toning was MA, but it is still a very beautiful toned Walker. As long as you like it, that's all that matters.

Edited to add: I believe Periwinkle is a blue hue.

For the record, I felt badly, raining on Yonico's parade and opining that the coin's color looked questionable to me. But I don't think it serves any good to comment, only when I have something positive to say.

Yonico, you have been a very good sport and I hope you enjoy the coin immensely.

For the record, I felt badly, raining on Yonico's parade and opining that the coin's color looked questionable to me. But I don't think it serves any good to comment, only when I have something positive to say.

Yonico, you have been a very good sport and I hope you enjoy the coin immensely.

Hey Mark,

No reason to feel bad!

I welcome and appreciate any comments on the coins I post here (hey that's why I post them here in the first place..). I like the coin and I'm happy with it, and I am enjoying it :)

I did know there will be mixed opinions on this one since it does have a slightly unusual look to it..

I'll definitely post better pics of the coin once I get it imaged!

Thank you!

Mark, what do you do at Heritage, anyway, take up space? I'm just teasing. I'm wondering whether you know whether they apply standards. Take this coin out of the PCGS plastic, for example. Is Heritage just going to list it? I've always kind of wondered at that. I know eBay would.

I remembered that you post it on "Most Recent Acquisition" forum.. but it looks fantastic with your picture now, Congrats! It's one of the nicest toning Walkers I ever seen!

I'm no expert but, first thought is AT but PCGS says' it's MA.

Way to Go. (thumbs u

The color is beautiful but doesn't look quite right to me, either. Then again, my Walker has a similar, although less pronounced, color progression.

3bpkwATLSxm82uXsDfm4_1937%2050c%20obv%20close.jpg

Then again, my Walker has a similar, although less pronounced, color progression.

Your piece is much more convincing to me.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering why I am now posting the images and not the original initial poster, I purchased it knowing that it would be controversial. I bumped this to see how much (if any) the opinions would change either way now that it has been professionally imaged.

Then again, my Walker has a similar, although less pronounced, color progression.

Your piece is much more convincing to me.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering why I am now posting the images and not the original initial poster, I purchased it knowing that it would be controversial. I bumped this to see how much (if any) the opinions would change either way now that it has been professionally imaged.

Well, Yonico had already posted the better pics back in June 2014, and there didn't seem to have been all that much controversy.

Anyway, having seen the coin in hand, I thought it was a great coin. Great luster and eye appeal IMO.