• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Numismatic Photography and Variety Searching System

5 posts in this topic

After receiving several requests from folks, I've put together a fairly complete "System" for viewing and photographing full coins and variety details. The requests were that the System include both Stereo Microscope as well as Photomacrographic capability. This System does it all, across a wide range of magnifications and working distances, at a very high quality level.

I chose the Stereo Microscope model and accessories to give the widest possible magnification range and highest quality for reasonable cost. I chose the Bellows, Lenses, and high magnification Objective to give excellent quality optimized for each magnification range. I chose the camera to give state of the art image quality with best ease of use, but in an older model to keep cost in line. I put it all together on a solid boom stand that allows the whole setup to swing away when not in use to conserve desk space, and to allow rapid changes between Stereo Microscope and Photomacrographic subsystems. The result is a flexible, complete turnkey System that makes few compromises.

The full System includes:

Stand and Accessories:

Bausch & Lomb Boom Stand

IKEA Jansjo LED Gooseneck Lights modified to improve diffusion and minimize hotspotting

StereoZoom Subsystem: (total magnification range 3.5x...60x with 10x eyepieces)

Bausch & Lomb E-Arm with Fine Focus adjustment and hoop ring for stereo pod

Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4 Microscope Pod (magnification range 0.7...3X)

Bausch & Lomb 0.5x / 2x auxiliary lenses to decrease / increase pod magnification range

Bausch & Lomb 10x Widefield Stereo Eyepieces

Photomacrographic Subsystem: (total optical magnification range 0.2x...5x, equivalent to 2x...50x versus stereo microscope with 10x eyepieces)

Bausch & Lomb E-Arm with Fine Focus adjustment modified for mounting Bellows

Canon Auto Bellows with adapter for EOS camera and M42 mount lenses

Nikon 105mm f5.6 EL-Nikkor Lens (for 0.2x...0.7x magnification range)

Rodenstock 75mm Apo Rodagon D M1:1 Lens with fixed f4 aperture (for 0.5x...2x magnification range)

Nikon M5 NA=0.1 Microscope Objective (for 3x...8x magnification range)

M42-M39 adapter for Nikon and Rodenstock lenses

M42 extension and M42-RMS adapter for Nikon objective

Canon Rebel XS / 1000D DSLR with charger, USB cable, software disk (for operating camera while tethered to PC)

Here is a picture of all System components together:

May2014074_9.jpg

Note the two Jansjo lights are my own pair. A new pair will be provided with the System.

Here is a picture of the System configured to take photos of a Dollar using the Nikon 105mm lens, followed by the photo taken with the System:

May2014065_1.jpg

May2014075_1.jpg

Here is a picture of the System configured to take photos of a Cent using the Nikon 105mm lens, followed by the photo taken with the System:

May2014066_2.jpg

May2014076_2.jpg

Note that the Nikon 105mm lens is a superb performer from low magnification up to around 0.7:1. Beyond that, the Rodenstock 75mm lens is superior.

Here is a picture of the System configured to take photos of a Cent using the Rodenstock 75mm lens, followed by the photo taken with the System:

May2014067_3.jpg

May2014077_3.jpg

Here is a picture of the System configured to take higher magnification (~2:1) photos of a Cent using the Rodenstock 75mm lens, followed by the photo taken with the System:

May2014068_4.jpg

May2014078_4.jpg

Here is a picture of the System configured to take 5x high magnification variety detail photos of a Cent using the Nikon 5x objective, followed by the photo taken with the System:

May2014069_5.jpg

May2014079_1.jpg

Note the 5x objective can operate over a range of 3x to 8x in this System, with shorter or longer extensions. Also note the 5x objective has a narrow depth of field, shown by the sharp focus in central areas of the image but out of focus in the higher areas near the edges. To get full sharpness over the entire image, multiple images focused on different areas of the image must be combined using software. The software is free and fairly easy to use.

Changing from the Photomacrographic subsystem over to the StereoZoom Microscope subsystem is done by loosening the set screw holding the E-Arms in place and replacing the entire E-Arm assembly. It is very easy and quick.

Here is a picture of the System configured for viewing up to Cent coins and variety details:

May2014070_6.jpg

Here is a picture of the System configured for viewing up to Dollar coins and variety details:

May2014071_7.jpg

Here is a picture of the System configured for viewing very high magnification (up to 60x) details:

May2014072_8.jpg

Note that with the StereoZoom4 microscope, with no auxiliary lens installed, the field of view at 0.7x pod magnification is slightly bigger than a Lincoln Cent, so you can see a whole Cent in the stereo view. With the 0.5x auxiliary lens, the field of view at 0.7x pod magnification is slightly bigger than a Dollar. This makes viewing and grading coins very convenient as you can see the entire coin easily.

As you can see from the above description and photos, this Numismatic Viewing and Photographic System is all you need for viewing, grading, attributing, and photographing coins.

I'm asking $1200 for the System, plus shipping and 3% if using PayPal. I'll ship in 2 or possibly 3 boxes, one for the heavy stand, and one or two for the delicate optics. USPS Large FRB's can be used to minimize overall shipping cost, but stand boom may need to ship separately as it's too big to fit.

I make myself available after a sale for advice and consultation by email or on the forum. I enjoy "talking macro" and will help the buyer get the most out of this System. I love seeing photos taken with my systems published online, and publishing the learning process of bringing up a new coin photographer helps everyone to learn new techniques.

Ray, this is an amazing set that you have put together! I'll have to save up for the next couple of weeks and maybe I can get one of these set-ups from you. Great work my friend.

Thanks Deerefan, Mr Guesser, and Six Mile !

This setup is the most complete I've ever assembled, but keep in mind I can put together a custom-tailored setup for specific needs.