• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally mine, Thanks Legend Morphy

16 posts in this topic

I won several lots last night in the Legend Morphy auction. None more important to me than lot #276. I have been looking

for this coin for several years after I lost out on it on Ebay. This coin belonged to Bryan Sonnier and I thought at the

time of his auction I would put a STUPID bid on it so that I COULD not lose it. Well I was out bid and tried to get in touch

with the winner to see if he wanted to make a profit on the coin. No, never going to sell I was told. Once again I was going

after this coin and was not going to lose out on it at just about any cost. To me its the nicest toned 78-cc in a GSA, soft

or hard back out there. I will say that I won the coin for much less than my max. and also for less than I offered the owner.

So I am a happy collector this am. If some one knows how to post pictures, I will email you a copy of the photo so it

can be added to this post. Or if Todd sees this post he can add the picture as he photographed it for Bryan many years ago

Quite a toned coin and quite a price. Glad your in-person examination was fruitful.

Well done J!!! I think you got off cheap……………..MJ

The prize is the goal of succeeding...and to finally have the coin in your hands.

I do have a question though, how is it the auction house can assign a grade to a raw coin?

Not that I don't trust their abilities, but I would much rather hear, see or read...in our estimation, this coin is a MS-65 rather than flat out put a grade that is not certified?

The prize is the goal of succeeding...and to finally have the coin in your hands.

I do have a question though, how is it the auction house can assign a grade to a raw coin?

Not that I don't trust their abilities, but I would much rather hear, see or read...in our estimation, this coin is a MS-65 rather than flat out put a grade that is not certified?

They qualify their grading as an opinion based on PCGS&NGC standards. I viewed the coin in person and grade it a 64+ it will go in for grading and we will see who is correct. I hope they are, I tend to be a little tougher even if its my coin

Looks good to me. I would be concerned that TPG might body bag it with a "questionable color" comment. Probably unlikely, but one never knows.

Looks good to me. I would be concerned that TPG might body bag it with a "questionable color" comment. Probably unlikely, but one never knows.

Sealed in a GSA, I'll doubt that will happen

Congrats!!! I was getting excited just reading about it!! lol It is awesome when you get a second chance on a 'special' coin!! It sure looks like a beauty to me and it will fit in your set perfectly. I'm glad for you----WTG!!! :thumbsup: