• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this REALLY a PL Merc?

15 posts in this topic

No. It has the tell tale signs of polishing and roughness around the designs that comes with altered coins like this.

Seems he may have other "processed" raw coins he is advertising as PL. Like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1880-S-Proof-like-SILVER-MORGAN-DOLLAR-/171309452879?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27e2d6ce4f

A PL would have too many die polish lines to count. I don't see any on this coin. Of course that could be due to the lighting, but I'd say no PL.

A PL would have too many die polish lines to count. I don't see any on this coin. Of course that could be due to the lighting, but I'd say no PL.

The heavy die polish PL finish is only seen from 1934 to 1954. A PL dime from 1919, if there were such a thing, would most likely look different than a PL 1941-S dime, for instance.

Harshly cleaned and essentially worthless.

If you needed another sign, look at the halo effect around the lettering. It is most clear on the reverse, but noticeable on the obverse as well. This is because the areas in between the letters are more protected - when the wire brush or whatever was used, it couldn't get into these spaces. The fields are wide open and destroyed, but you still see traces of semi-original luster in the protected areas. This is why this type of cleaning can sometimes fool people, because they see that original luster on parts of the coin.

Seems to me if this was PL, or for that matter a high MS dime it would be in a TPG holder.

Too risky for me to buy raw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-P-Proof-Like-EXCELLENT-SILVER-MERCURY-DIME-/181402886091?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2a3c745fcb

Your emphasis on the coin not being in a TPG holder is misplaced. Instead, you should be focused on the coin itself and the obvious and highly unoriginal appearance due to polishing or heavy cleaning.

definite post mint plating

I disagree, especially if you are going to use a word like "definite". It looks like a polished piece to me.

That coin is either highly polished or mercury dipped. I've seen both and this resembles either.

I agree looks like a mercury dipped in mercury (thumbs u