• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What sets do you enjoy viewing in the Registry?

12 posts in this topic

If you are at all like me, you enjoy looking at the other sets in the Registries. Especially sets iin categories you are trying to complete. I am working on a Dansco 7070 with gold set, so I like to browse the sets of members in that category who have taken the time to post photos. I know it takes a lot of effort to photograph upload each coin for others to see, not to mention the will power it must take to ignore the siren call of the obscure set button ;) . Thanks to all who post photos.

Today I looked at Bill Jones' set and physicsfan3.14's prooflike set. Very impressive and motivational sets.

Do you have a series you like to browse? If so, which one or ones?

I could spend months just looking at YeOldeOne's collections.

His sets are being sold this year - by Heritage. I have a few in mind.

However, my mind can't pay for them !

If Lotto were ever to smile favorably on me, may it be before these

incredible sets hit the block.

My favorite has to be the "G.M. Chow (Colorful) Walking Liberty Half Dollars Collection." I collected Walkers before viewing that set, but really got into colorful, high-grade Walkers after viewing his set. He also has some other really cool sets like an AU58FH Standing Liberty set.

As mentioned above, I also enjoy looking at YeOldeOne's sets. I wish I could afford ONE of his coins lol.

I have from time to time looked at other sets associated with my sets. I also click sig lines periodically to check out sets. I've seen some very nice sets that I could just merely drool over. lol

I really enjoy looking at the sets that Bill Jones has assembled. Some fantastic early dates that are very well preserved. Bill has also taken the time to add comments regarding the production of the coins, who the early engravers were, the grades given, government/mint policies at the time etc....

I like clicking the Gallery tab to show a full page of the registry set. The first time I clicked on Bill's Type set in the Gallery window, I was amazed at what I saw.

When I looked down to see that there were 8 MORE PAGES I was somewhere between this :applause: and this (worship) !!!

Today I looked at Bill Jones' set and physicsfan3.14's prooflike set. Very impressive and motivational sets.

Do you have a series you like to browse? If so, which one or ones?

Today I perused each of these three sets and as a 7070 collector myself, let me say that they are all special in their own way. For me, the registry sets a high standard for me to aspire towards. The registry also gives me ideas on how to assemble my own sets.

It's not that I am trying to compete in terms of points, but that I am aspiring to purchase the best coins I can within my budget. While high grade coins and proof-like coins have great eye appeal, I believe that circulated coins can also have eye appeal. Hence, I buy the best AU's, XF's, or VF's possible where I can't afford MS.

In my sets the presentation of nice looking coins is very important. This includes high definition images. Thus, I just finished re-imaging most of the coins in my 7070 set. There are also coins in my set that serve as placeholders for now to be upgraded at a later date. In the end my goal is to have a set I can be as proud of as I am sure that CSdot, Bill Jones, and physicsfan3.14 are of their's.

Additionally, I like to peruse the sets on the custom side of the registry for their originality and diversity of coins and sets.

Gary

There are many nice groupings of coins. I just wish it were not a money-based competition.

Way too many cool sets to pick one. But I really like looking at the Custom Sets here on NGC or the Collectors Showcases over on PCGS. The ones that have no real rules and leave it up to the collector to show off their collection the way that they want to. Pretty cool to see some of the sets people come up with when they are trying to fill holes dictated by some other collector...

There are many nice groupings of coins. I just wish it were not a money-based competition.

There is at least one collector who is ahead of me who has spent less money on his collection than I have in mine. It has to with the registry point system. Dollar for dollar you get more registry points for more common coins in high grade than scarcer coins in high grade.

I extend a sincere thank you to those who have cited my type sets as something they have enjoyed.

I just feel honored to be mentioned in the same sentence as the remarkable set Bill Jones has built.

The sets I enjoy viewing are the ones with good pictures and good descriptions. I like learning about new things, and seeing beautiful coins.

The sets I enjoy viewing are the ones with good pictures and good descriptions. I like learning about new things, and seeing beautiful coins.

+1