• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: How many of you...

12 posts in this topic

I guess my question is why not??? I usually only buy slabbed coins NGC, ANACS, PCGS, old PCI and ICG. But it is fun to send in a few raw coins just to see what you will get back! Hopefully my grading will be the same as the third party graders, but sometimes you can get surprised. Sometimes a happy surprise and sometimes not.

This being a NGC board I would assume most of the collectors that post here have sent in coins for grading...

One of the reason is "I buy the coin, not the slab." Of course on rare or expensive coins, slabbing gives the security of genuineness, and grading, respectively. However, although I'm not an "expert," I have bought & sold my share of raw 93-s, svdbs, 14-d, 32-d,s, 01-s, 77, and 16-d to feel comfortable w/o a 3rd party telling me that.

I like submitting coins, as it's like hunting in a way! It also helps me hone my personal skills as a grader, etc. I've submitted hundreds of coins through NGC, PCGS, and ANACS combined. It's always fun to get back the grade and/or the attribution.

One of my reasons for slabbing coins is for improved handling. A slabbed coin can be handled and stored easily and they are kind of fun to show. I also like albums and have several that i actively stuff, but I always worry about the position of each coin in the album and am practically paranoid about slide marks.

Hoot

I have submited or intend to submit (to NGC of course) all acquired raw coins from auctions. I am sitting on several now because I am in the process of moving. I feel that all of the coins raw acquired from B&M Auctions are at least PQ and probably one grade higher than listed. This makes the cost of slabbing much more favorable in terms of market value.

I have submitted 3 coins for slabbing, 2 to NGC and 1 to PCGS...all 3 rejected for cleaning.

The two that were bagged by NGC went to ANACS and subsequently got graded at where I thought they were. The PCGS reject is in the mail today with another one to ANACS.

I am now buying higher cost and/or questionable dates slabbed. I don't plan to submit any more.

Yeah, I guess not a good choice of words...

For example...93-S...big counterfeit target......capped die 79-CC....14-D cent...16-D dime.....ones where the authenticity may be up for grabs is what I should've said.

I'll expand my thought a little....

I think I've developed a pretty good eye for determining the technical grade of the main series I'm interested in...Morgans and Walkers. Judging from my recent submissions, I still don't have a good eye for detecting cleaning...and I have never seen a "known" whizzed coin, although all the grading books tell you what to look for. I also don't feel comfortable detecting really good counterfeits. I would NOT buy a 93-S Morgan raw these days because of this lack of confidence.

Submitting coins is a great way to test the grading services to see what type of grading mode they are in. It can also keep your grading skills sharp.

As for submitting, I'd guess I've submitted 6000+ coins to all the services. All it takes is one bighit to pay for a lot of misses. laugh.gif

I wouldn't dare buy any of the coins you named raw. I have seen to many counterfeits. There is a CC dollar on ebay right know with a home made CC. I also saw a 1916-D dime with an added D as well. Gold is also something else I wouldn't buy raw.

The slabs are also better holders than 2x2's of any kind. Album slides scare me to death!

But I will be the first to say don't buy the holder buy the coin!

Submitting coins is a great way to test the grading services to see what type of grading mode they are in. It can also keep your grading skills sharp.

Yeah...but at $35 a pop ( my fee for my PCGS reject), it's pretty expensive salt in the wound telling me I'm a who can't tell a cleaned coin... grin.gif