• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caution! Monster toned Morgan in this thread.Not for the faint of heart!

19 posts in this topic

$210.49......I bid on that coin.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif figured someone on here would have seen it.Peacockcoins was the seller

Can't get over the fact that it went for over 4 times bid........ 893whatthe.gif

but the toned coin market is going sky high!

It definitely looks like bag toning. This wouldn't necessarily mean that another coin was blocking its access to the burlap bag, rather, the bag might have had a fold in it such that that area was not in close proximity with the coin.

The only Morgan that I own is a brutally beautiful 1881-S graded MS64 by PCGS that I would sell for about $2,000. Yes, I realize that bid is $48 and that this date is the generic Morgan for superb coins, but you have to see this coin in-hand to understand it.

Yes, I realize that bid is $48 and that this date is the generic Morgan for superb coins, but you have to see this coin in-hand to understand it.

The coin is worth what someone will pay NOT what someone prints in a price sheet. laugh.gif

As to Hayden's coin: I don't like it all that much...too dark for my tastes. tongue.gif

jom

The Morgan featured in this Thread opened at $1. with No Reserve and (more importantly) NO shilling. The auction ran for five days, closing late morning.

The open and free collectors market spoke and the gavel closed this toner at $210.

You can't get much more fairer than that.

Yep....I thought it looked good enough to bring $150....I was a little surprised to see if go over $200, but not shocked.

Were you the seller braddick???? I know I recognize the seller ID from somewhere and I was thinking toned Ikes....correct?

As you stated.......the market decided the price and their is no blue print for calculating the value of toners.....I will have to put you as one of my favorites on Ebay and keep track of your auctions going forward.....I am sure I will spot something I like thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

Another member here, today, picked up the only "DMPL" appearing 70-D NGC Kennedy I've ever seen. He paid about 1/3 what I honestly thought it would close at too. tonofbricks.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

Another member here, today, picked up the only "DMPL" appearing 70-D NGC Kennedy I've ever seen. He paid about 1/3 what I honestly thought it would close at too. tonofbricks.gif

hi.gif1970-D DMPL 50c NGC MS64 hi.gif

I outbid, I believe, at least two other forum members to get it. Honestly, my max snip was 11c higher than it sold for. 27_laughing.gif

I figured it was going to sell for $150+ and I didn't even bother entering in my snipe until maybe 8 minutes before it closed.

Do you know when this coin was graded? Any thoughts on why it wasn't given the PL / DPL / * designation? Provided it looks as good as your picture, which I bet it will, it's going right back to NGC for designation review.... and then back on eBay. thumbsup2.gif

Looks like there is some breaks in the frost on the cheek and neck. That will negate a DMPL and possibly a PL. Very nice coin. I sold a similar coin about 15 years ago in an ANACS 64 holder for $50. Frankly, I think they are very, very scarce indeed.

TRUTH

Greg and TRUTH, you read my mind. I honestly didn't think I would have to do what it is Greg has planned as others would see this one for what it is and bid accordingly.

eBay's a strange animal as some coins I suspect won't do well actually do and others, such as this Kennedy, don't come close to my anticipation or speculation. makepoint.gif

Greg, when you post this one back on eBay with its new insert, let me know as I'll (again) be a healthy bidder to win it back!