• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Barber Quarter Dollar

21 posts in this topic

1892-P Type 1

Curious what others think of the possible gade. It is not cleaned, whizzed, buffed, etc.... It is not easily discernable from the picture but it has as much full cartwheel original mint luster as a freshly minted one would have.

1892_P_Barber_Quarter_Type2_Raw.jpg

That gouge on the shield will hold the grade back a bit. I will say the coin is MS 63 maybe 64 .

Looks like an attractive coin .

If the coin has "as much full cartwheel original mint luster as a freshly minted one would have", then the images provided do not depict the coin even close to accurately. That said, my grade guess, based on what I do see, is MS64.

If the coin has "as much full cartwheel original mint luster as a freshly minted one would have", then the images provided do not depict the coin even close to accurately. That said, my grade guess, based on what I do see, is MS64.

Hahahaha!

Mark I love your unintended humorous side, for without it, I find it hard to imagine that you have ever told a joke. :grin:

Well, I got a chuckle out of reading your post anyway. ;)

It does not show the luster since I have my jansjo LED lighting diffused using the separation paper that you will find in a lighthouse stamp collection book. In order to show the luster I think I would have to remove the diffusion and angle the lights appropriately. Not sure. My web site shows my complete photo setup though.

I think your guess of a 64, as well as from others, must be about accurate but to be honest I was looking for indications of a counterfeit when I received it. I have never thought that there were coins from the 1890's, etc.. that looked like this. This coins strike is so solid, the freshly minted flow lines and luster so strong that I called the guy and asked him if he minted these in his basement. lol

The seller is dealer that has been active for many years, goes to coins shows to make his purchases, and if I mentioned his name he would probably be known by you Mark. I am not going to mention his name since he has some other stuff I am wanting. ;)

I appreciate all the comments and guesses on the grade. I think I will change the grade I had written on the kraft envelope to 64+ and leave it like that. He (the dealer), on the phone told me it wasn't as high a grade as I initially thought and that he thought it to be a MS64 with a good chance at MS65.

Thanks again. ;)

Hahahaha!

Mark I love your unintended humorous side, for without it, I find it hard to imagine that you have ever told a joke. :grin:

Well, I got a chuckle out of reading your post anyway. ;)

It does not show the luster since I have my jansjo LED lighting diffused using the separation paper that you will find in a lighthouse stamp collection book. In order to show the luster I think I would have to remove the diffusion and angle the lights appropriately. Not sure. My web site shows my complete photo setup though.

I think your guess of a 64, as well as from others, must be about accurate but to be honest I was looking for indications of a counterfeit when I received it. I have never thought that there were coins from the 1890's, etc.. that looked like this. This coins strike is so solid, the freshly minted flow lines and luster so strong that I called the guy and asked him if he minted these in his basement. lol

The seller is dealer that has been active for many years, goes to coins shows to make his purchases, and if I mentioned his name he would probably be known by you Mark. I am not going to mention his name since he has some other stuff I am wanting. ;)

I appreciate all the comments and guesses on the grade. I think I will change the grade I had written on the kraft envelope to 64+ and leave it like that. He (the dealer), on the phone told me it wasn't as high a grade as I initially thought and that he thought it to be a MS64 with a good chance at MS65.

Thanks again. ;)

This jokester says there is no need to wonder whether the coin is genuine. It's not....

not a counterfeit.

:devil:

This jokester says there is no need to wonder whether the coin is genuine. It's not....

not a counterfeit.

:devil:

touché .... :grin:

Thanks Mike.

I took a quick, somewhat bad quality movie and posted it on YouTube

that I think shows there is just a bit more luster there than the pictures represent.

I am going to have to get with Ray or Bob and get some more coin photography pointers. hm

Thanks Mike.

that I think shows there is just a bit more luster there than the pictures represent.

I am going to have to get with Ray or Bob and get some more coin photography pointers. hm

No lack of luster in the video. Looks gorgeous!

If you get a high angle with your lights and then adjust the height you should be able to get some nice luster bands to show.

First set of images showed very nice detail. The video showed great luster.

Now I want to see both! :insane:

Thanks Mike.

If you get a high angle with your lights and then adjust the height you should be able to get some nice luster bands to show.

I just viewed the video and, yes, it's much better.

Hahaha!

Now that I think about it, I do believe I had the lights at a very low angle in an attempt to distribute the lighting evenly and show maximum detail.

I got a 50mm enlarger lens in today that I plan to experiment with. I use a 105mm enlarger lens and bellows now and thought that if I got a 50mm I could capture photos of the large medals I have that will not fit in the frame of the 105mm.

My thinking must have been clouded from heavy medications because the 50mm made it to where I have to be inches from the subject. lol

Back to the drawing board on that one. :grin:

1892-P Type 1

Curious what others think of the possible gade. It is not cleaned, whizzed, buffed, etc.... It is not easily discernable from the picture but it has as much full cartwheel original mint luster as a freshly minted one would have.

1892_P_Barber_Quarter_Type2_Raw.jpg

Given that luster is a major consideration in the grading of mint state coins, I wish we could assess the luster. If the coin doesn't have stipped/dipped out luster, I would call it MS64.

Thanks Mike.

This is helpful and makes the coin look much, much better luster wise. I didn't see it when posting my initial comment.

Thanks Mike.

This is helpful and makes the coin look much, much better luster wise. I didn't see it when posting my initial comment.

I just viewed the video. It could be the lighting, but it appeared to me as if there were lines or very light disturbance on Liberty's cheek.

Thanks Mike.

I just viewed the video. It could be the lighting, but it appeared to me as if there were lines or very light disturbance on Liberty's cheek.

I interpreted that as a couple of hits that might lower the grade to a lower MS grade. Are you now thinking that it could be a slider?

Edited: By disturbance, are you referring to contact marks or in the luster? I assume you meant the latter.

Thanks Mike.

I interpreted that as a couple of hits that might lower the grade to a lower MS grade. Are you now thinking that it could be a slider?

Edited: By disturbance, are you referring to contact marks or in the luster? I assume you meant the latter.

I couldn't tell what I was seeing on the cheek, but my guess is hairlines, which might cause me to grade the coin 63 instead of 64. Such are the limitations of grading, based on images.

I couldn't tell what I was seeing on the cheek, but my guess is hairlines, which might cause me to grade the coin 63 instead of 64. Such are the limitations of grading, based on images.

Mark you are correct. I just took a look using a 45x loupe and there are what I guess would be called album friction, very faint hairlines on the cheek. Apparently enough to cause that bit of light diffraction under the intense light in the video.

I could probably force it to appear in a still image if I were to take another trying to show the luster better than I did in the original image, but I spent enough time on this one. I have a nearly identical 1892-O Type 1 on it's way next week. If it is even close to this one I will be very happy.