• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good For A Scent

13 posts in this topic

Lost my best friend

Although I still read the board and occasionally comment, I haven't posted any journals lately. mainly because even though I have recently retired I haven't been very motivated to write as I recently lost my best friend, my faithful mini schnauzer Bogart to cancer.

Bogart, or "Bogie" was truly my best buddy. I have previously read ( and I am paraphrasing) "that in a way its a blessing that dogs don't live too long, else the pain would be too great to bear as we grow to love them more and more each day we have them". For me, this sentiment rings so very true, and I find myself thinking of him constantly.

In Bogart's memory I have a attached a pic of Civil War Store card die 1284, "Good for a Scent" used in tandem with Joseph Merriam's "Die Sinker and Letter Cutter" ( Boston, MA-115) obverse. This token is one of the most famous Civil War Pieces, and possibly down the road I might add one to my collection.

Thanks for reading,

Rich

15485.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Sorry for your loss. As all of us know, they are not just a great friend but a member of the family. Your post brought back memories of our lost ones, remembering all the great times we had together.

All our hearts go out to you.

My condolences on your loss Rich. Even though I don't own a dog, I know several people that do and I found that their feelings for their dogs are similar to yours. It's tough to see as loyal a friend as your dog die.

Gary

Rich,

Please accept my most sincere sympathy in the loss of Bogart. The Civil War Store Card "Good for a Scent" would be a most fitting tribute.

~Doug

Hey Rich,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. While I've never owned a dog, I've had many animal friends of other species and I know the pain of losing them all too well. Animals really become a part of our families. My deepest heartfelt condolences, my friend.

~Tom

So sorry for your loss Rich. For people that don't have pets it may be hard to relate to what your feeling. For those us that do we can understand better what you are going through. It's too bad that our furry friends do not have the same life span that we do. Hang in there buddy!

Rich, I feel for you and know those feelings you are having too well. I do not have kids, my kids are yellow labs. Twice now I have had to have one of my labs put down. When that happens I cannot even be there. My suggestion is for you to get another pup. The new dog will never replace your loss, but over time the pup will work its way into your heart and you will think less often about your other dog. Each dog is different and each has its own special way of getting your attention. I now have a seven year old and a one year old. And it is time to take them for a walk.

SOOOO VERY sorry to here this, Rich. I know JUST how you feel. We are all dog lovers in my family. I had a female West-highland Terrier mix. She got a terrible infection and she died a week later back in 2010. She was 10. I cried for WEEKS.

My brother just had to put down his German Shepherd mix, b/c of cardio-respiratory problems. I went over there to visit the dog one last time and to support my brother. He couldn't stop crying, either. His dog was just shy of 14.

I know that you need time to grieve and it WILL take time but I agree with Gelhaus, as there are PLENTY of pups looking for good homes.

Guys,

So amazingly on the mark the board's comments, and so very much appreciated.

I do want to leave this thread on a happy note, by saying that at the right time we will certainly give another pup a loving home and welcome him into our family.

EVERYBODY, thanks again !

Rich