• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake Morgans

11 posts in this topic

Just bought a Fake 1904 S Morgan Dollar (dispute has been opened)

Another buyer who bought from this guy contacted me and told me I may have a fake so I weighed the Morgan Dollar and it came up 22 grams not 26.7 grams. Looks completely real but it's light. I can't feel much difference between the real one and the fake.

How to keep this from happening again. You can't weigh coins before buying them online.

HELP!

Now I'm really leery. I just went through my Morgan Book, took them all out and weighed them.. All good. WHEW.....

147221.jpg.6568bda2107c0fcba4f8f36e54b69230.jpg

147222.jpg.b1448ef8fc5ff8e9f3baf12006f08589.jpg

Looks fake to me. I guess the way to prevent from buying fake coins is to stick with certified coins from reputable sellers, especially if you're talking about a coin worth several hundred dollars.

Yeah man, first of all, I believe that you will end up getting taken care of and not losing any money on this purchase (although the time/energy spent is lost forever...).

I think Ebay is a phenomenal tool/resource for coin buyers and sellers alike. It does have its negatives, but for me personally, the positives far outweigh those negatives. You have to measure the risk/reward for you based on what you are trying to do and proceed accordingly. I for one, would be aware of who you are buying from, You hear people talk about finding that "reputable" dealer and working with someone you can trust.. The same goes for coin sellers on Ebay, I have Ebay coinsellers who I buy from that I trust completely, the type of sellers who if somehow something like this ever slipped past them unintentionally they would make it right in a heartbeat... Anytime I am thinking of buying from a seller who I haven't dealt/worked with, I ask questions... you can weed out a lot of the sellers who are not concerned with taking care of their buyers/customers just by doing that.

There are ways to get burned/taken advantage of when buying coins no matter where you buy, regardless of whether its Ebay, craigslist, classifieds, coin shop, or coin show, etc.. whatever. ... It is up to the individual to take necessary actions to protect oneself...

Good job figuring out this morgan is fake, I have not experienced them first hand, but have heard that there are some really "good" ones out there. (I say good because I wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at that pic. The in-hand feel is a different story though. I probably wouldn't buy common date circulated morgans off ebay).

Thanks for sharing this, never a bad idea to have the reminders that as buyers we must be diligent and keep ourselves as sharp as possible.

-Chris.

Looks fake to me. I guess the way to prevent from buying fake coins is to stick with certified coins from reputable sellers, especially if you're talking about a coin worth several hundred dollars.

John, what leads you to believe it's fake? I'm getting a headache trying to figure out why.

Chris

I would ask John via PM. The more information that gets put out in the open the more information the counterfeiters have. Therefore they can make better fakes. Just a thought.

I would ask John via PM. The more information that gets put out in the open the more information the counterfeiters have. Therefore they can make better fakes. Just a thought.

Or you could share it here so more collectors know what to look for. Obviously the counterfeiters have figured it out already.

Did it pass the magnet test?

Or you could share it here so more collectors know what to look for. Obviously the counterfeiters have figured it out already.

If they had then they won't be making any more of these fakes and would be producing fakes that can't be recognized. Or at least not by the information he would give us.

without calling anyone out, or wanting to get into a debate about it.... I agree with this logic 100%.

The counterfeiters are going to keep doing what they are doing regardless... In my mind, it is such a lucrative business for them, that they aren't going to quit. Ever!!! I picture a high level operation that mass produces these fakes in a factory over-seas... I think that to the people who are running these operations consider themselves elite business men, at the same level as anyone who runs what we here would consider a "more legitimate business".. they are not concerned with these blogs, or what a collector here has to say about their quality... they are concerned with keeping up with the demand on these "fakes"... So In my mind, I think it is silly to believe that there is any other way to protect ourselves from this situation other than to educate ourselves, and do our best to keep our fellow numismatists sharp and on our toes.

Just my opinion, I have never agreed with the, "keep it hush hush approach" as to not help the bad guys... Bad guys are gonna do what they do, and keep getting rich from it... Lets educate each other and quit buying this garbage, in turn lowering the demand which will affect profitability, which "might" be the only possible thing that slows it down. Or it may not slow it down... but hiding "valuable" info does not do sh!* to slow them down...

-IMHO

Chris

*EDIT** Sorry, I meant to quote and it didn't work... The logic I agree with is the logic of getting info like this in the open to help educate buyers on our end, try to help them stay sharp and on their toes.....