• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1871 Seated Liberty Dollar

7 posts in this topic

These pictures are very large and detailed so they will take time downloading.

I am not familiar with the Liberty Seated Dollar enough to know if these coins were chop marked during trade like the trade dollars are.

I did find another coin that was in a NGC AU53 that had similar marks (just not as many). I assumed that this damage was caused by a counting machine or something similar. Chances are something like this would not grade problem free, correct?

Obverse01a.jpg

-

Obverse Large

-

Reverse01a.jpg

Reverse02a.jpg

The detail is AU but no chance of a straight grade and if somehow it did straight grade as AU50 then it would trade at a large discount.

Those don't appear to be chopmarks, they appear to be hail damage. Just kidding but whatever caused it, it's damage.

Thanks.

I was fairly certain it was damage and not chopmarks but I wanted to make sure from those that know.

I didn't even want the Dollar. I was after a Medal that was with it. The pictures of the coin were terrible but I was willing to take a chance. The Medal was flawless but there is no way I can get enough money back out to justify so I will just have to return everything and wait until I see the Medal come up elsewhere.

Bill that's definitely post mint damage. The coin is a nice Au but it's a details coin. To me it looks like someone was bored and was tapping this con with the reeded edge of another coin

Yep. That could be a possibility.

It does look to be a MPD S$1 FS-301 though. I believe I see in that full size picture the errant '8' below the 8 in the denticles.