• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 S obverse Walking Liberty half. Question about grade?

46 posts in this topic

It's hard to be bias when you are the owner of the coin, but I certainly think the grade of MS-63 is appropriate and would be happy as a pig in a poke if you bought it raw for AU money.

It's hard to be bias when you are the owner of the coin, but I certainly think the grade of MS-63 is appropriate and would be happy as a pig in a poke if you bought it raw for AU money.

I missed this fact. Did the OP purchase the coin as only an AU? If that's the case----I would feel EXTREMELY fortunate.

Looks original attractive and appears to have nice luster.

I see nothing negative about the toning, although I would not boost it either.

I have no issues with the 63 or a 64 from the pics. If the price jump is small I would leave it be.

Looks original attractive and appears to have nice luster.

I see nothing negative about the toning, although I would not boost it either.

I have no issues with the 63 or a 64 from the pics. If the price jump is small I would leave it be.

A 63 will cost about 4500-5500 and a 64 will cost anywhere from 6500-10000 depending on quality.

Although i like the coin, there is a good bit of dirt/grime hugging the devices. Might have been more that was removed. There is one close-up of the obverse that made wonder if it got a light cleaning at one point. Could that contribute to a net grade? Neither Mark nor Bill Jones said anything about it and theyknow a heck lot more about grading than I do.

David Lange is absolutely right about the textured surface in the 1916 and 1917 issues. My 17-S obverse and 16-S both have this rough textured looks in the fields.

In any event,you have a nice coin that is already worth more than you paid for it.

The OP got a heck of a steel. Trying to get an upgrade on that baby is just being greedy! :-)

When I started I won a 1916-D merc off of the bay (raw). Very risky indeed. I paid AG money and after it coming back from NGC as "AU details" I was skipping my behind all the way to the bank when I cashed the check after selling it.

Although I now kick myself for even selling it! I will NEVER have a chance at owning an AU 16-D, BB'ed or not......

Keep it for a long time man! You will regret it if you sell it!

I missed this fact. Did the OP purchase the coin as only an AU? If that's the case----I would feel EXTREMELY fortunate.

The OP mentions it in another post on my page 3

I bought this coin RAW, from a coinshop here locally... he had it as a high "AU" and was selling it for AU58 money.....

"I bought this coin RAW, from a coinshop here locally... he had it as a high "AU" and was selling it for AU58 money..... "

Clearly an excellent purchase. Acquisition of this also suggests potential for superior grading skills. Congrats!

The OP got a heck of a steel. Trying to get an upgrade on that baby is just being greedy! :-)

When I started I won a 1916-D merc off of the bay (raw). Very risky indeed. I paid AG money and after it coming back from NGC as "AU details" I was skipping my behind all the way to the bank when I cashed the check after selling it.

Although I now kick myself for even selling it! I will NEVER have a chance at owning an AU 16-D, BB'ed or not......

Keep it for a long time man! You will regret it if you sell it!

lol.... I can totally see how it could be looked at as being greedy.... I really believe it isn't about greed at all... This was one of the first coins that I bought where my perspective about coins began to shift.. (when I bought this coin, I was still at that phase of not being able to believe I just dropped this amount of money on a half dollar or "wow.. spending x amount of dollars for a half dollar", or whatever the fractional is...when you are paying many multiples of face) I had bought mainly junk silver up to this point. So this coin is has played a role in helping me to get where I am at..

I do not know if I will re-send it, but if I do, it wont be about the greed, the actual grade or monetary value is not of concern to me.. I will do OK regardless.. what I am after is the learning experience and knowledge gained from this coin so I can use that as a tool moving forward. Seems like a good candidate to really get a feel for the "grading game" though.... I still don't know if I am going to re-grade it.. may keep it, may sell it. I actually had it listed on Ebay, and it just ended.. no sure if I am gonna re-list it, as I know Id truly regret selling this coin...

I have heard dealers say, "don't get married to your coins".. well, lets just say that I am "engaged" to this beautiful lady right now!!!

"I bought this coin RAW, from a coinshop here locally... he had it as a high "AU" and was selling it for AU58 money..... "

Clearly an excellent purchase. Acquisition of this also suggests potential for superior grading skills. Congrats!

Thank you, I consider this a compliment, and it is helpful and appreciated... I haven't felt an over-abundance of confidence as I have been navigating, and attempting to learn this amazing world of coins...

I am registered for the grading class at ANA's summer seminar this year (late June, early July) and I am very very excited... The grading class falls directly on my anniversary, so this is the third year I have wanted to/planned on taking it... its finally happening. (I do have an amazing wife folks!!!) I am very excited to see where the knowledge gained takes me. I do love many things about coins, the idea of using my eye/knowledge to find a coin and then upgrading it, is something I find very exciting and gratifying. Anyways, thanks all for the insight. Again, this thread has been soooo much more insightful for me than I ever thought possible..

Thank you, I consider this a compliment, and it is helpful and appreciated... I haven't felt an over-abundance of confidence as I have been navigating, and attempting to learn this amazing world of coins...

I am registered for the grading class at ANA's summer seminar this year (late June, early July) and I am very very excited... The grading class falls directly on my anniversary, so this is the third year I have wanted to/planned on taking it... its finally happening. (I do have an amazing wife folks!!!) I am very excited to see where the knowledge gained takes me. I do love many things about coins, the idea of using my eye/knowledge to find a coin and then upgrading it, is something I find very exciting and gratifying. Anyways, thanks all for the insight. Again, this thread has been soooo much more insightful for me than I ever thought possible..

Many years ago, on two different occasions, I was one of the instructors for the advanced grading class. Based on what I observed, you are likely to find it to be an invaluable learning tool Enjoy!

You will never regret taking the ANA grading class. A real eye-opener. Far too few collectors try to "wing-it" and then get caught spending too much for too little.

It is a constant amazement that many will not spend a few days or a few hundred dollars to learn grading or to buy books containing new research results, yet spend thousands on a coin they complain about for years.

.... what I am after is the learning experience and knowledge gained from this coin so I can use that as a tool moving forward. Seems like a good candidate to really get a feel for the "grading game" though....

If you resubmit the coin, whether it upgrades or not, what do you stand to learn?

That grading is at least somewhat subjective and inconsistent? I bet you already know that. ;)

The OP mentions it in another post on my page 3

I bought this coin RAW, from a coinshop here locally... he had it as a high "AU" and was selling it for AU58 money.....

Thanks, Woody. ;)