• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, it Was Legal Tender in the US

23 posts in this topic

I was just about to post this coin over on the Darkside, but since it was legal tender in the US and I so rarely get to post over here why not share with a wide audience. It's a Spanish 2 reals coin, struck at the Madrid mint:

653594-1735JFSpain2RRAWVF.jpg

It's unusual that a heavily circulated coin catches my eye but this one jumped out at me. Nice even wear and no problems.

-JamminJ

wow that is an amazing eye appeal totally original GREAT looking coin from the scan yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

yes legal tender in the usa till 1857 and these coins where still in use in places like the southern usa till the late 19 century

michael

wow that is an amazing eye appeal totally original GREAT looking coin from the scan yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Thanks michael!

I was a little worries I'd get flamed for profaning the US forum with my foreign stuff. stooges.gif

-JamminJ

Very nice, problem free coin.. What does the II and JF stand for? Are those the Asayers(Is that the correct term) Initials? Very nice coin...

The "II" is a Roman numeral paired with the "R" to make the denomination 2 reals. JF is indeed the initials of the mintmasters Juan Jose Garcia Caballero and Fernando Vazquez. The M with crown above is the Madrid mintmark.

-JamminJ

Another superb coin JJ! I find the lower denominations (such as yours) are hard to come by in nice circulated grades/conditions.

Hoot

I was just about to post this coin over on the Darkside, but since it was legal tender in the US and I so rarely get to post over here why not share with a wide audience. It's a Spanish 2 reals coin, struck at the Madrid mint:

653594-1735JFSpain2RRAWVF.jpg

It's unusual that a heavily circulated coin catches my eye but this one jumped out at me. Nice even wear and no problems.

-JamminJ

Outstanding eye-appeal, JJ!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

It's a great looking original coin. I'm just not sure why when JamminJ gave it to me to submit it was in the pile that needed curation (i.e. making blast white), but I do what the customer wants.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Now, what will this coin grade at NGC? It's going in this week.

It's a great looking original coin. I'm just not sure why when JamminJ gave it to me to submit it was in the pile that needed curation (i.e. making blast white), but I do what the customer wants.... confused-smiley-013.gif

893whatthe.gifboo.gif

My guess: VF20

-JamminJ

My guess: VF20

Having no idea how to grade them, the coin appears to have been well struck meaning there is significant wear. Overall, I'd guess F15. However, I wouldn't be surprised it see it in a VG8-VF25 slab.

It's a beautiful, original piece. The NGC grade will be interesting to see, however, I doubt they will go down to VG8 if for no other reason than the rims are so well preserved.

Without seeing what an uncirculated or an example with full detail, I couldn't make an educated guess! frown.gif It may very well be that there isn't much more detail in a higher grade, I don't know.

Leo

Hey! I was only DOUBLE that! 27_laughing.gif

Great coin. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Note to self: Sell raw foreign coins to Hoot. stooges.gif

-JamminJ

Hey! I was only DOUBLE that! 27_laughing.gif

Great coin. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Note to self: Sell raw foreign coins to Hoot. stooges.gif

-JamminJ

P.T. Barnum ws my father.