• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1988-D Lincoln and mintmark position

8 posts in this topic

I was fooling around looking through some of the pennies I had on my desk and noticed something about the mintmark on the 1988-D and was curious as the reason. It would seem something like that would deem a type designation similar to the 82 small/large date.

IMG_0014.JPG

01c_1988D+obvo.jpg

The mintmark is clearly out of place in my opinion.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the m/m was hand-punched into the die until the early 90's.

If you look at the 70's & 80's Kennedy halves, you'll see the m/m all over the place.

Chris

I found this on Wexlers website. You are right Chris. This probably explains the difference.

"The first changes to the procedure of applying the mint marks to coinage came in the mid-1980s when the mint mark started to appear to the original model design for commemorative coins and regular proof coins. In 1990 and 1991 the Mint began applying the mint mark for circulating coins to the master die. After 1994 the mint mark was applied directly to the original model for all U.S. coins thus ending the RPM and OMM era."

That is some good information, however, I have found the following 1999-P Jefferson Nickel and if it is not a RPM then it is an illusion.

Tell me what you think on this Nickel. RPM?

Shot With Bellows

Bellows_Shot_1999_P_Nickel.jpg

Shot With Microscope and Stacked 4 Levels

Scope_Shot_1999_P_Nickel.jpg

Geez! Do we really need a close-up of your "P"?

Nope! No RPM. Maybe machine doubling??????

Chris

Geez! Do we really need a close-up of your "P"?

:grin:

Well I thought Machine Doubling / Mechanical Doubling, but in the process of trying to learn to distinguish the aforementioned, I have continually been told that it would have a 'flat shelf like appearance', yet this is clearly rounded.

I think it is times like this that makes it so damn hard to learn to differentiate.

Bill, it's just a different punch.

I was under the impression they no longer punched them in the dies so maybe I do not understand your suggestion.

Bill, it's just a different punch.

I was under the impression they no longer punched them in the dies so maybe I do not understand your suggestion.

The cent. I should have clarified that after you slipped the dime in.