• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regrade Service

6 posts in this topic

I recently obtained some Walkers that are in early NGC slabs (pre-barcode). I believe that if these coinds were submitted "raw" today, the grades would be higher than what the slabs currently indicate. Would it be better to submit the coins using the Regrade service or send them in a raw coins? What are the results of those that have used this service? Were they satisfactory or did your coins come back with same grades but just with new plastic? Andy

If all you want is them regraded, then it would be best to submit them in the current slab. NGC will remove them from the slab and grade them as if they were submitted raw (the graders do not know that these are regrades). The protection is that if they get downgraded or bodybagged NGC will compensate you.

I have only done a couple using the regrade service and have had good results. Obviously, the key is to submit nice, undergraded coins.

as per the above greg sums it up well. i would send them in the holders and let ngc regrade them and crack them out so you will not get downgrades and as greg says if you get downgrades or bodybags you will get a check from ngc and/or lower graded coins back from them

also like anything else it does not matter if the coin was the first one graded by ngc in 1987 or one graded yesterday in their holders

the key is the coin needs to have great eye appeal and/or be undergraded to have strong possibility of an upgrade

good luck and let me know how things come out

michael

Speaking of body bags, I submitted some raw coins that were returned ungraded for one reason or another. Is there any reason for me to not remove the coins and just re-use the bags for something else? Or might I consider leaving some of them as is to show the nature of the problem and submitting them for conservation?

These are basically lower value coins I'm speaking of that I had hoped would fetch a good grade but had problems that a rookie like myself had not taken into account. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my remains.

If you are going to send them in to NCS for conservation, leave them im the bodybags. NCS gives a small discount ($2 I believe) if you show that the coin was previously submitted to a grading service and bodybagged.

If you're going to keep the coins as is and not submit for conservation, then there is no reason to keep them in the current bodybag.