• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1909-S Lincoln Newps

17 posts in this topic

Newps in a problem-free PCGS holder. Grades and comments welcome. These pics are mine and about the best I can do with my limited skills/set-up. This one really pops in-hand. Thanks for looking!

1909-SBoth_zps7392380e.jpg

I like it, very nice. A little darker and I would like it even more. MS-64 RB maybe... MS65RB?

Does the wood grain effect show when in hand or is that just the photo? I enjoy wood grain. Maybe a 64 rb pushing a 65

Wood grain is very slight on this piece. It has that "brassy" color to it. I'll pot the grade tonight.

Thanks for all the grades and comments. This one graded MS64RB and honestly it's 95% red so a RD designation would be possible. I believe the strike held it back from a 65 grade because the luster, surface preservation, and eye appeal are gem level IMO. The strike is not that great on the obverse side and says choice.

1909-Sslab_zps62c67e6c.jpg

Thanks for all the grades and comments. This one graded MS64RB and honestly it's 95% red so a RD designation would be possible. I believe the strike held it back from a 65 grade because the luster, surface preservation, and eye appeal are gem level IMO. The strike is not that great on the obverse side and says choice.

The obverse strike and the luster are why I guessed so low. Does it have more luster in hand?

The obverse strike and the luster are why I guessed so low. Does it have more luster in hand?

Yes, the luster is strong in-hand. It cartwheels and has no breaks. This is the nicest '09-S I've ever owned - key dates Lincolns are a weakness you never want to lose.

<3

I guessed MS65RB above, and I still think its better than a 64, or a very choice 64.

with the jump in price from 64 to 65, I think it's worth it to submit to pcgs under "reconsideration". You submit it in the current holder, and it's not cracked out unless it upgrades.

Thanks guys - I really like it too. I should give a shout out to DLRC (David Lawrence) where this piece was purchased. They have a good eye for Lincolns and are pleasant to deal with.

I guessed MS65RB above, and I still think its better than a 64, or a very choice 64.

with the jump in price from 64 to 65, I think it's worth it to submit to pcgs under "reconsideration". You submit it in the current holder, and it's not cracked out unless it upgrades.

He can try that, yonico, but with that CAC sticker on there, good luck on getting an unbiased reconsideration. Peel off the CAC sticker, then send it in. If they send it back as a failure to upgrade, get out some glue and put the CAC sticker back on. :)