• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on 1941S WLH Please!!!

8 posts in this topic

About 2 weeks ago my son picked up this 1941S WLH. This is the first "S" mint in either of our collections. I know the San Francisco minted WLH are known to be weakly struck, but we're having a hard time putting a grade on this one. The fields show decent luster, but the weakly struck areas are throwing us. How would you grade this one (based on the pics) and how did you come to that conclusion? Thanks for any replies and opinions!! :grin:

1941S_zps4b723dfa.jpg

1941S-R_zpsdab92670.jpg

Sorry, I can't tell from the images if it should grade (as low as) 58 or (as high as) MS64. It looks lustrous and attractive, with an average strike for the issue.

If I had to guess, I would go with MS63.

I'm gonna go with AU58

Hard to tell from pics, might be MS. But if it is, I'd limit it at MS62, big marks on face and arm are really distracting (for me).

I'm gonna go with AU58

Hard to tell from pics, might be MS. But if it is, I'd limit it at MS62, big marks on face and arm are really distracting (for me).

I don't know if the coin is mint state or not. But if it is, the marks you mentioned would not necessarily limit the grade to MS62. I have seen equally bad on a number of MS64 coins.

I'm gonna go with AU58

I don't know if the coin is mint state or not. But if it is, the marks you mentioned would not necessarily limit the grade to MS62. I have seen equally bad on a number of MS64 coins.

I agree that some 64's might have similar hits/marks,

But for ME, a mark that big on the cheek, and the hit that looks quite deep on the arm, are very distracting. Thats why I said "I would limit" and "(for me)". If I was to buy it, I would not have paid 64 money even if it was slabbed MS64.

I don't know if the coin is mint state or not.

This is the problem we're having, deciding whether it's MS or not. We've looked at several dozen pics online and still can't decide. Based on the reverse, it appears to be MS because there doesn't look to be any wear on the eagles "elbow" on the wing, which I'd think is the highest point outside the weak strike area, On the other hand, the obverse appears to have light rub on Liberty's breast, but I'm not sure if that's part of the strike or not. He's said as long as it grades at least AU50 (what he paid for it) he'd be happy. So, based on the responses here (I know they're only based on pics on not in hand opinions) I think he should be happy. Thanks all!!! :grin: