• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Petition for US Mint to change its gold coin lineup

56 posts in this topic

How come your sight doesn't allow to view how many others support your petition? You use WE very strongly in your comment/article but there isn't one person here, that agrees with you.

Bobby,

He's giving you the typical song-and-dance that someone usually resorts to when a direct answer will make him look foolish.

Yeah, I think it's a great idea for the Mint to submit the coins directly to one of the grading services. Of course, they can't just select whichever service they choose. It will have to be put out for bid. :rulez:

Just imagine what it will be like. The Mint submits 100,000 coins of varying denominations doh! and expects to have them back in 21 working days. Of course, all of the other customers will have to be put off. :frustrated: For them 12 business day turn-around becomes 24 business days. 21 business day turn-around becomes 45 day turn-around. Except for the Mint contract, the company starts to lose customers who opt for the other grading service! :whee: Then, the Mint decides to cancel the contract. ??? Go ahead and sue us! :rulez:

FWIW, the OP posted this same thread two days in a row ATC on two different forums. When he met with interference and was questioned about it, he played dumb, just like he did with you, Bobby.

Chris

But they would have to use NGC or PCGS. They can't use a TPG which hobbyists won't trust.

How come your sight doesn't allow to view how many others support your petition? You use WE very strongly in your comment/article but there isn't one person here, that agrees with you.

Bobby,

He's giving you the typical song-and-dance that someone usually resorts to when a direct answer will make him look foolish.

Yeah, I think it's a great idea for the Mint to submit the coins directly to one of the grading services. Of course, they can't just select whichever service they choose. It will have to be put out for bid. :rulez:

Just imagine what it will be like. The Mint submits 100,000 coins of varying denominations doh! and expects to have them back in 21 working days. Of course, all of the other customers will have to be put off. :frustrated: For them 12 business day turn-around becomes 24 business days. 21 business day turn-around becomes 45 day turn-around. Except for the Mint contract, the company starts to lose customers who opt for the other grading service! :whee: Then, the Mint decides to cancel the contract. ??? Go ahead and sue us! :rulez:

FWIW, the OP posted this same thread two days in a row ATC on two different forums. When he met with interference and was questioned about it, he played dumb, just like he did with you, Bobby.

Chris

But they would have to use NGC or PCGS. They can't use a TPG which hobbyists won't trust.

This is where you may be wrong. PCGS has a marketing strategy that somehow makes people think coins in their slabs are worth more than NGC slabs. So the mint would then have to decide if they want to make the certified coins more affordable by putting them in NGC slabs or try to rip the customers off at paying PCGS prices for the same graded coin.

Here's what we did:

We have a petition to get the US Mint to reissue classic coin designs as a part of its product lineup. Please sign today:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-should-reissue-classic-coin-designs-as-a-part-of-its-product-lineup.html

We also have a petition to demand that the US Mint issue a 1/20th oz American Gold Eagle similar to what's being done in other countries. Please sign today:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-needs-to-make-a-120th-oz-gold-american-eagle.html

We also have a petition which calls the US Mint to directly submit coins to NGC and PCGS: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-should-submit-some-of-its-numismatic-products-directly-to-ngc-and-pcgs.html

These are the same petitions posted yesterday. We just split the petitions up because some agreed with only portions of the petition posted. Sorry for the double topics.

Your support is greatly appreciated!

Ahhhh...now it's clear: three bologna sandwiches with "nutz" instead of one. "We" shall enjoy the feast.

Possibly, if the OP had bothered to establish his interests and hobby credentials on PCGS, NGC , etc. prior to linking to the “demanding” petitions, things might have gotten off to a better start. With no meaningful arguments to support any of the demands, this seems to be just a lot of hot air --- and we all know what hot air does to bologna sandwiches.

Bon Appetit!

Well we have NO CONNECTION to NGC or PCGS. We are a group of collectors interested in having greater say with our products. We have some young people with us and some older people. This isn't hot air, provided we get enough support.

Gee! It seems as though WE don't believe anything you say, and WE do have our followers.

By the way, I noticed that you posted another garbage can ATC, but it seems that I am blocked from accessing it. You can run, but you can't hide.

Chris

Bobby,

Chris

No! No! No! That's not legal.

Chris

1) Using Classic coin designs? No. I think they should get better with creating great new designs instead of living in the past.

2) Creating 1/20 oz: No. I don't see why this is needed.

3) Some affiliation with the TPGs. No thanks.

Three strikes, you're out. FAIL.

Sorry, I can't support this.

jom

There would be a choice of raw and certified under this proposal. Also many people would prefer a 1/20th ounce gold coin because of the high price of gold. You could get a 1/20th ounce gold coin at the same price you used to get a 1/10th ounce gold coin.
Hmmm.

Not at pre-1933 prices.

For $110 I could get 5 $20 gold pieces AND a $10 gold piece.

But with that special label you could now be able to know what coins actually were the first strikes from the mint compared to the first strike criteria now
No. You would not.

The US Mint does not keep track of what comes off of a die set other than by the thousands to determine die life.

Not only that, but the US Mint produces coins by the millions and then sends them off to a packager? Exactly how much logistical managing and manpower would be required to guarantee that the first 10, 20, 500 or so coins came off of a die set?

The proposal is ridiculous.

That is pretty insulting. We have our supporters.
You, yourself and yourself?

Or perhaps the 6 signatures you've already garnered?

That's not really that bad come to think of it. 6 signatures in 24 hours.

BTW, which petition are "we" (me myself and I) supposed to sign?

Petition 1

Petition 2

Petition 3

or

Petition 4?

Well we have NO CONNECTION to NGC or PCGS. We are a group of collectors interested in having greater say with our products. We have some young people with us and some older people. This isn't hot air, provided we get enough support.

There is one simple way for you to have more say in the products you want.

Open your own silver/gold round minting company. You will never control the U.S. Mint or any other government body with a petition. The only control government officials understand is $$$.

Don't want to open a minting company? Form a PAC and donate millions into the coffers of your representatives and Senators and you'll have a chance of getting what you want.

Then how come Canada is able to pull it off

Canada is another country. Though I know you know that (I hope), THEY do what THEY want to do. Doesn't mean the U.S. has to. Comparing apples to oranges. Just drop the whole thing. It WON'T go ANYWHERE.

Didn't look like a question to me. Regardless, we have our supporters.
Name One well known supporter that's over the age of 30 AND that's in the Coin Business.

Just one.

There would be a choice of raw and certified under this proposal. Also many people would prefer a 1/20th ounce gold coin because of the high price of gold. You could get a 1/20th ounce gold coin at the same price you used to get a 1/10th ounce gold coin.

1/10th of an ounce is $130 at today's prices -- that's TOO much ? hm

If your a teenage collector making minimum wage it is a lot. About two and a half days take home pay, assuming eight hour shifts.

The U.S. gov is the most powerful entity in the world. They have the smartest people working for them. (Don't take me to the DMV and make me repeat that) But if it made good business sense to make any changes to their gold coins, I'm sure the Mint has already considered it.

1/10th of an ounce is $130 at today's prices -- that's TOO much ? hm

IMO $130 at today's prices for a 1/10 oz. isn't that bad. It's only gone up $60 in the past 10 years. That was the last time I bought a 1/10 oz. GD for a birthday present and I didn't really have any interest in coin collecting back then. Sure I can't afford to go into the coin shop and just buy one today, but if I save up for one then I will have one in a paycheck or two.

Or anyone can do what I'm doing now. I'm buying one ASE every week and once I have enough for trade then I will trade in ASE for a 1/10 oz. GD. I will repeat this process until I get a 1 oz. how simple is that?

Well this made for a good morning read while I had my coffee.

Pretty much off your rocker. Not really anythign to say that others haven't. Just seems like it would turn into a big waste of our tax money and I for one am tired of that.

Good luck though.

Well this made for a good morning read while I had my coffee.

Pretty much off your rocker. Not really anythign to say that others haven't. Just seems like it would turn into a big waste of our tax money and I for one am tired of that.

Good luck though.

Have to agree here. Although I don't think a 1/20th is really necessary, if it were introduced, I wouldn't argue.

/gfc

If they were to approve a 1/20th, then how long would it take for someone to want a 1/2oz or a 1/4oz. As the old saying goes, you really can't please everyone. If the mint tried pleasing everyone, we'd have so much junk coming out every year. It's bad enough now.

If they were to approve a 1/20th, then how long would it take for someone to want a 1/2oz or a 1/4oz. As the old saying goes, you really can't please everyone. If the mint tried pleasing everyone, we'd have so much junk coming out every year. It's bad enough now.

Yeah! For years, I've been begging the Mint to send me beta copies of all of their products so I could test them. No such luck!

Chris