• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscured Sets on the Registry

7 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of Obscured Sets on the Registry?

Make your voice heard, and maybe we can get rid of these things, or at least make them ineligible for competition: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7645068#Post7645068

I also think you have have to own a coin to post it. Obviously posting a coin that you don't own to your registry set should be a no no, but I take it a step further. As has been discussed on these boards, some dealers create sets for clients who may never look at those sets. Very frustrating.

I would also like to see a requirement of a minimum ratio of coins to uploaded photos to participate, but that might be asking too much.

When I first started building my 1971 mint set I constantly looked at the top 3 sets, pop reports, price guide, etc.

I feel having had the opportunity to view other collector's sets was, and is, a great learning tool.

I much agree that if a collector wishes to obscure their set(s) then they should not be able to compete in the registry for an award.

I logged my vote in the other thread.

sig.jpg

(71-D and 71-S cents needing to upgrade to 67 and perhaps the 71 IKE to 66, otherwise done)

The purpose of the registry sets is to rank sets based on TPG assessment. I see no reason why an obscured set should be penalized, and penalizing them does not comport with the purpose of the Registry IMO. Some people obscure their sets for privacy reasons.