• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Lincoln Matte proofs

40 posts in this topic

I'm not a Lincoln collector, but that 1910 is very sweet. If the toning/strike in hand is as pictured, that is an exceptional Lincoln.

Carl

Sad to say, but as much as I love and almost strictly collect lincolns I have never viewed a MPL in person.

I will have to make this a goal to accomplish soon.

Great lookings cents everyone

Copper toning- you have got to check them out. With most coins I'm happy with just a single date and MM but MPL's can be so unique, well-struck, and colorful it's tough to stop at just one piece! By the way, I've seen pics of your collection and it's definitely impressive.

Thank you ND. The color was definitely a big selling point.

And you're right........hard to stop at just one.

You have some very cool and colorful examples.

Very Nice examples all!

(thumbs u

Bought, and sold, these before the big run up in prices a few years back:

1911pcobv-2Z.jpg

1913icgmplobvslab1.jpg1913icgmplrevslab.jpg

Crossed to PCGS 64BN:

1913pcmcomp.jpg

1914MPLmediumA.jpg

1915mplobvC.jpg

Matte proof Lincolns and Buffalos were struck from dies that had been sandblasted before hardening. This is different from sandblast proof gold (and 1921-22 Peace dollars, etc.) where the coins were struck normally on a medal press then individually sandblasted.

(Editorial Comment: By using "matte" for the Lincolns and Buffalos, and "sandblast" for the gold, we avoid the problem of using the same word, "matte," to describe two different methods of making collectors' proofs. For 1908-1916 gold, the standard hobby term was "sandblasted" until after WW-II. It's time to use the original, and technically correct, terminology.)