• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Numismatic Ephemera

26 posts in this topic

Business Card for Samuel Hudson Chapman & Henry Chapman, Jr.

chapman__business-card.jpg

Business card with printed text on recto advertising: S. H. & H. Chapman, Numismatists and Antiquaries, Importers of and Dealers in Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, Gems, Bronzes, Pottery, and Antiquities, Foreign and American Coins and Medals, No. 2009 Arch Street, Philadelphia.

6.7cm x 11.5cm printed business card; ribbed paper stock. [N.p., n.d., ca. 1887].

The Chapman Brothers were among the foremost of coin dealers in their era and are considered to be the first American career numismatists. Henry Chapman, Jr. and Samuel Hudson Chapman were collectors at an early age and by the time they were in their teens were working full time in numismatics, under the tutelage of Philadelphia coin dealer John. W. Haseltine.

In 1878, the Chapman brothers formed a partnership in the enterprise of S. H. & H. Chapman to deal in and auction coins. From 1879 until the dissolvement of the partnership in 1906 the Chapman brothers conducted 83 autions. The S. H. & H. Chapman catalogues became well known for the use of photographic plates and set the standard of accurate and reliable cataloging.

From 1907 to his death in 1935 Henry Chapman conducted an additional 51 sales. Samuel Hudson continued in enterprise thru 1929 having conducted an additional 28 sales.

Idhair, I like both of those plaques - read some of your other posts about them! (thumbs u

cpm9ball, great hoard! Where's all the $$ hm

Let's see some more Numisana :)

I've posted this before but it's been a while. I bought a few redbooks off ebay a few years ago and this was inside one of them. The redbook was from the 70's I think.

BuffaloNickelIndian.jpg

Actually, the $1 bags on the right, the 5c bags on the left and the 50c bags at the right-center never held any coins. The Mint was selling these off when they started converting to ballistic bags.

Chris

here's one

can someone post this so it shows up in a photo on the thread post?

and do you know who Parmelee is?

146862.jpeg.53496129d88bab1fccbc15f6faa7bd02.jpeg

Actually, the $1 bags on the right, the 5c bags on the left and the 50c bags at the right-center never held any coins. The Mint was selling these off when they started converting to ballistic bags.

Chris

Would the unused bags grade Mint State? lol

Here is a satirical piece that was issued during the 1884 presidential election. That year the Greenback Party (a 19th century third party that ran candidates from 1876 to 1888) nominated Benjamin Butler for president. Butler had been a Civil War general (and not a very good one) and had been the floor chairman in the Senate trail phase of the impeachment of Andrew Johnson.

Butler was a political gadfly. Before the Civil War he had been a Donkey Party member and had actually supported Jefferson Davis for president. (!) After the war began he converted to the Elephant Party which helped him land his position as a Civil War (political) general. Among his assignments was the occupation of New Orleans after it fell to the North. There it was said that he had the habit of stealing silverware when he went into the homes of southern sympathizers. For that he got the nickname "spoons."

He was also known as "Beast Ben Butler" for his crack downs on Southern sympathizers who did things to Union soldiers who were patrolling around town. One practice was for the ladies to empty their chamber pots from upper story windows on their heads. Butler came up with a general order that declared that any woman who was guilty of performing those and other antisocial acts would be declared "a woman of the town" (i.e. a prostitute).

The piece satirized the core proposal of the Greenback Party, namely the virtually unrestricted issuance of paper money. The idea was to inflate the economy so that farmers and others who were deeply in debt could pay back their loans with cheap paper dollars. Later the elements of this group would form the Populist or People's Party. That group would into become allied with William Jennings Bryan's silver crusade in 1896. The Populists nominated Bryan for president but had a different candidate for vice president.

Take an opportunity to read this piece. It is quite amusing.

ButlerDollarf_zpse318a998.jpgButlerDollarB_zps284b2c44.jpg

Chris

Well, there are no signs of post-Mint crammage.

Chris

Chris

Chris

Also, I don't see any bag marks. doh!

DaveG, Form 1715 a. is now on my want list. :grin:

leeg, "Nice stuff so far." - I agree and yours ain't bad either. :golfclap:

bsshog40, Running Water sure was an old fart (article is from 1971) :insane:

michael, better read up on Lorin Gilbert Parmelee

can someone post this so it shows up in a photo on the thread post? and do you know who Parmelee is?

michael-parmelee.jpg

BillJones, very interesting read - wouldn't that relate to today? Kind'a like let's just print some more money to pay off our debt.

cpm9ball & PerryHall, :roflmao:

---

The goal here is a perpetual posting place in Numismatic General for this kind of material - don't be shy. Keep it coming.

Just trying to liven things up a bit here.

Chris

Chris

Also, I don't see any bag marks. doh!

I can honestly say that they are unsearched, too!

Chris

thank you dadams for posting the remittance so it shows up in the thread post (thumbs u

and for great read on parmelee............... though i do know about him already

Don't know exactly how the above relates so here is something - -

tn_stacks__1933DoubleEagle001.jpg

Sotheby's/Stack's Sale 7817. The 1933 Double Eagle. New York: Sotheby's, 2002. 56 pp.

This coin hammered on the block for $7,590,020 including buyer fees.

This is two round pieces of plastic attached in the center in a way which allows you to turn either side. The front has an image of the obverse of a Morgan and the back piece the reverse. Because the plastic is clear it allows you to see what to look for in a clashed Morgan. Each side can be rotated.

I sent a collector ATS of 1921 Morgan varieties a discovery piece as a gift as it had no significant value and he sent me this in return. I find it interesting as this was a device he had conceived and made himself.

IMG_000clash1_zpsdb1475b3.jpg

clash2_zps544718ea.jpg

I think this fits the category of Numismatic Ephemera. I received this as a gift a year or so ago. Early copper collectors would make foil pressings of their coins to carry for show-and-tell sessions.

18571CHolmesPressing_zps69fcf4c5.jpg