• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Album Toning?

15 posts in this topic

In the following example images you will see that the obverse has toning and the reverse has little to none.

Would this not be considered normal for album toning? Also, if a coin has uniform obverse toning and no toning on the reverse, does that coin then become suspect for AT or QT?

Obverse.jpg

Reverse.jpg

It is not unusual for one side to tone and the other to not.

What you have there is a little bit of brown haze. To call that album toning is to really misuse the term.

Yes I think I could have found a much better representative coin if I had spent more time looking. I think the following would be an accurate example of album toning, no?

1853_Dime_W_Arrows.jpg

Or possibly this:

1897_Barber_Quarter_Dollar.jpg

Of-course these two are not a 1932-D Washington nor are they with no toning on the reverse. However, the mere fact of a coin having uniformly obverse toning and the reverse with little to no toning is not reason for suspect. Am I correct in how I read your response?

Thanks.

1) Yes. Album coins can tone more on one side than the other. Which side tones first can vary and will depend on a number of environmental factors.

2) No. Many coins are found with one-sided color. Most often, this effect is found on roll-end coins. The side facing inward is protected from tarnish, while the side contacting the paper can develop toning, leaving a night and day affect. Album coins are another common example.

Ok. Good info.

So a coin such as this could be well within reason to be considered natural toning? If not then why?

1932_D_Washington_Quarter.jpg

Many album-toned coins display toning on both sides.

The fact that a coin exhibits toning on one side but not the other, is not necessarily grounds for suspicion.

Many coins which once resided in coin cabinets or trays display toning on just one side.

Ok. Good info.

So a coin such as this could be well within reason to be considered natural toning? If not then why?

1932_D_Washington_Quarter.jpg

Yes. Keep in mind, however, that some coins which are toned on just one side used to be toned on both sides. ;)

Yes. Keep in mind, however, that some coins which are toned on just one side used to be toned on both sides. ;)

Absolutely. I am also very much aware that a majority of 1932-D Washington Quarters, in problem free holders, that look like that reverse on both sides were undoubtedly dipped. Would you not agree?

Absolutely. I am also very much aware that a majority of 1932-D Washington Quarters, in problem free holders, that look like that reverse on both sides were undoubtedly dipped. Would you not agree?

I generally prefer not to agree with statements which include terminology such as "undoubtedly dipped" or words like "ever", "never", "always", "definitely", etc.

But I do see many examples which appear to have been dipped. ;)

The entire coin could have been dipped in the past, on a coin like this.

I agree.

I generally prefer not to agree with statements which include terminology such as "undoubtedly dipped" or words like "ever", "never", "always", "definitely", etc.

But I do see many examples which appear to have been dipped. ;\)

Yes I understand your position there and I should have said 'More Than Likely' as that would have conveyed my opinion more accurately.

OK. I appreciate the comments and opinions. It has helped me better understand this coin, as well as other examples I have been looking at from previous auctions.

My thoughts have always been that if a coin is album toned, that means it actually toned in an album. The toning characteristics are different depending on the album brand/type that it toned in, as well as the location on the page in that album.

I see descriptions such as 'mint set toning' on a coin that looks like typically seen from 1947 through 1958 cardboard double mint sets. But sometimes they say this for a 1960's coin which came in cellophane, and I just scratch my head.

"Album toning" Hmmmm - can't recall seeing an album tone; the printing can fade some.....Will have to research this new and unusual topic. Maybe there's an old ANJ article about it.