• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 $20 MS64+ Among Finest Graded posted by Grandman

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1893 Double Eagle with Gorgeous Color--Tied for finest graded at PCGS.

With each interesting new acquisition for the Grandview Collection of Liberty Double Eagles, I plan to describe the coin and relevant background information with a journal post.

The 1893 Double Eagle is considered common in grades of MS62 and lower. In MS63, it becomes scarce and sells for a premium over ultra-common dates like 1904, 1900 and 1903. At the MS64 level, it becomes difficult to find and is undervalued in my opinion. PCGS has graded 66 1893 twenties in MS64, 3 coins in MS64+ and none finer (based on April 2014 PCGC population data). In the NGC census report (April 2014), there are two coins finer than MS64 listed. CAC has approved 38 1893 Double Eagles in all grades with 5 in MS64 and none finer.

The 1893 $20 in the Grandview Collection was graded by PCGS as MS64+ and approved by CAC. I really like the vibrant color of this coin with yellow-gold at the centers progressing to a deeper orange-color near the periphery. The strike is bold and the high points have a dusky color, which don't detract from the eye appeal, but provide evidence of its originality.

Obverse and reverse images of the 1893 Double Eagle from the Grandview Collection can be found using the link below. Images of the coin in its holder are shown below.

NGC Registry Gallery

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1637879

Grandview Collection

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=106968

15420.jpg

See more journals by Grandman

Very nice addition, and a world class set!

So how did you come about deciding to put together a collection like that, and how long did it take? Were you in the coin business, or are you a pure hobbiest?