• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lamination Error

6 posts in this topic

All I can tell from his pictures is it looks a little too glossy to just be the copper. A coin at the end of the strip can miss the plating altogether or be part-plated. I have slugs/planchets that missed the plating. The color I think looks off on this one for that.

Awhile ago my son bought a few German zinc coins (pfennings I believe?) that were pitted and corroded, and he wanted to see if he could make them look better. He read somewhere to use vinegar (if I remember correctly) on them and tried a few modern cents first. After those turned out horrible he threw a modern quarter in just to see what that would do to them, He wound up with a similar look with apparently an all copper quarter. I'd have to double check with him on exactly what he used, but I do remember him showing me a similar quarter after he "cleaned" it.