• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Commemorative Half Dollars posted by Six Mile Rick

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just what collectors were they intended for ???

Friends,

I have purchased and sold very many Modern Commemorative half dollars but never bought any mint wrapper sets. There are many sets built by us that are from already graded coins and I was surprised to get the mint package ones that came this weekend. For the collectors that build these sets I thought a pic of mint packaged sets would be interesting. Below is a pic of 4 Modern Commemorative half dollar coins in a mint wrapper that were intended to gain interest in our children and grandchildren. They just didn't realize that there is a kid in all of us as well. Looks like a McDonalds toy package. The measurements are 6"X6" or so with a story inside and the coin in the center. I just wanted to share these as I had never seen anything but slabs before. Trading for over 100 coins usually has something new involved that kinda sparks the fun up a bit!!

ENJOY!! ---- Rick

15416.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

Hi Rick,

Those are actually neat little folders for the commem halves. When I worked at a coin shop, I'd come across these every now and then, but not too often. I think that grading has taken a toll on these sets. I think trying to assemble a set of these folders would be a fun pursuit for a Modern US guy such as yourself.

~Tom

Tom,

I already have 4 on reserve for future purchase from myself!!! :grin:

This is my first time running across them and I thought they were pretty neat. A nice change from the regular 50c commem. in a slip case!!

Everyone can see here in the pic's where a large praportion of the MS halves come from that are slabbed. The deal actually had a great set that I was so happy to get. 1998 Kennedy Collectors Set --- Kennedy $1 Mocom and the 50c Kennedy 1998 SP!!! :)

Rick

Hey Rick,

Congrats on that 1998 set!!! That's a good snag! I think even with whatever the US mint is planning for the 2014 anniversary of the Kennedy Half, the 1998 SP will always be the lowest mintage Kennedy half. I actually still have a 1998 SP somewhere around from my days as a US collector. It's a pretty cool coin!!

~Tom

Rick, I'm sure you know what the very same half dollar comms are available in the nice blue velvet boxes with the coins in air tights. just a little info if you did not know......Mike

Mike --- The velvet boxes are Proofs --- The Young Collector books above are Mint State!! :)

just a little info if you did not know..... Rick

I purchased over 100 Commemorative coins still in mint packaging. The Proofs are in the felt boxes with the Mint State Dollars in cardboard slide boxes and Mint State half dollars in these books. The only set that was different was the 1983-84 Olympics 6 coin set that had 4 Silver Dollars MS and Proof for both years and the MS and Proof $10 1/2 oz. golds for 1984 in a cherry wood case. :)

Look for the Baseball Hall of Fame coming out later this year to move some of the MS HOF halves, will go nice with those other folders. I believe they will be sold exclusively at the Baseball HOF so you made need to buy from their gift shop. Good luck and congrats....

These are funny.

What a strange universe they must live in. The people in this universe have apparently mastered space travel and the colonization of other planets. But they still use gas pumps from the 1950s?

I wish that I lived on a planet with corn-dog trees.