• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC 30 million coins certified

15 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm missing something, but which coin became the 30 millionth? If it were mine, I'd like to have special insert for that milestone.

Chris

Maybe I'm missing something, but which coin became the 30 millionth? If it were mine, I'd like to have special insert for that milestone.

Chris

It appears to be two completely different stories (shrug) That would be cool though if a non-coin pattern was the 30th M slabbed. Yeah, I'd want that on the label (special insert) too!

Come on, folks, don't be so nieve. You don't think NGC purposefully waited and chose this particular coin to be that special one???

Me thinks that's exactly what they do in these instances. They know exactly when they will hit the mark and they aren't going to let one of my lowly coins that are still sitting there waiting to be graded slip into that slot! Or yours either!

Rough approximation based on the pop numbers - about 8 million of those are modern US bullion. No real way to tell how many Lib's and St. Gaudens were certified for their bullion value. No easy way to tell how much foreign bullion is in there as well. And then you've got a ton of NCLT as well. So, rough guess, at least a third of the "coins" aren't really coins.

Also they are still counting the slabs that has been crack out and re-submitting the same coin for some reasons. I don't really think they will ever removed the old certification # on slabs that have been in trash bin for a long time.

You don't think NGC purposefully waited and chose this particular coin to be that special one???

Of course they did, just like the five millionth was the Hawaii 5-0 1913 nickel, and one of the others was an 1804 dollar. I believe some of the other "milestone"coins were also "special" coins like those.

You don't think NGC purposefully waited and chose this particular coin to be that special one???

Of course they did, just like the five millionth was the Hawaii 5-0 1913 nickel, and one of the others was an 1804 dollar. I believe some of the other "milestone"coins were also "special" coins like those.

Chose what coin? The article about the Gobrecht hub mentions nothing about it being the 30 millionth, and the article about the 30 millionth mentions nothing about the Gobrecht hub.

Chris

Rough approximation based on the pop numbers - about 8 million of those are modern US bullion. No real way to tell how many Lib's and St. Gaudens were certified for their bullion value. No easy way to tell how much foreign bullion is in there as well. And then you've got a ton of NCLT as well. So, rough guess, at least a third of the "coins" aren't really coins.

Don't forget all the PF 69/70 modern coins!

It's still a large number of pieces to certify, even if only half of them would be considered significant to the two of us.

I'd like to see a statistical breakdown across all categories graded in the 30 million. What is a likely profit margin, and average per coin certification fee, $25 or so per? That would make a gross profit of $750 million, just a guess as I was discussing this with Brookfield coin the other day.