• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there certain coin series that you won't entertain in certain plastic?

31 posts in this topic

Not trying to make this controversial by any means. I was just looking at some of our coins and saw many in a certain TPGS plastic, but we do have coins in different plastic tombs.....

As I was looking at them, and as I was looking online to see if there were any that I could grab to add to our collections, I got thinking about what I do/don't look for in certain plastic.

I'll even start out....

For our 1/2c collection, I really only do look at PCGS. Reason is that I, for whatever reason one can say, have our registry set with them and I don't want to play a game of crossovers. I also have it as an Everyman's set and so I keep my perusals down in the AU and below. I am sure I miss out on some fine coins (in both plastics and in the MS category), but it is something I am doing with my son and I am trying to keep a focus. Down to the last couple of coins left, and then maybe a few upgrades, but we shall see.

I also won't usually buy SAEs or modern "change" (ie...the coins in current mint sets) in NGC and, if I were to buy them (I haven't for awhile), it would be PCGS. Reason is because of resale and my own believe that NGC is a bit more liberal with the top grades.

That said, I have purchased toned IHCs, toned key Lincolns, seated coinage (half dollars and dollars), franklins, silver washington quarters, silver kennedys, and maybe a few others for our collection that have sat in, and many still sit in, NGC plastic. I bought them for the coins and, while I have attempted to cross some (for registry reasons and to test my own grading/crossover skills), I haven't done it with all of them.

I know some prefer NGC silver roosevelts and maybe FBL Franklins in NGC. I believe there could be some other series that are more sought after in NGC plastic.

For non-top2 TPGS, I usually don't like spending more than a second or two looking at them unless the price is very "right" and the coin looks good right off the bat. I have a passing glance at PCI (usually for the SAEs) and some of the older, cooler, holders like PCCI, etc.

I don't like the newer ANACS, but I do look at the older ones (small holders). We have some morgans and early lincolns in those.

So, I have stated kind of what I look for in certain types of plastic (what I will/won't look at). Anyone else care to state, in a non-judgmental and open way, what they look at for certain coins/series? From a plastic aspect?

The prime series I am currently working on is a fullstep Classic Jefferson Nickel set. I prefer NGC because (IMHO) NGC is much tighter on step designation than PCGS, while PCGS is tighter in grade by at least a 1/2 point. If you take your time and perform your "due diligence", I feel you can have a top notch collection from NGC that will rival a PCGS only set. You just have to pick the NGC coins that are nice for grade. There are dogs in both holders. Another benefit is cost. PCGS is much more expensive and in all honesty I can not afford to pay the crazy money that some top population PCGS coins command.

I have been working on the above set on and off for 15 years now so it is a labor of love as I am only 70 percent complete.

The other two sets that I currently have started but only purchase occasional coins for are the Classic Commeroratives and the Peace Dollar sets. In these sets I feel that both NGC and PCGS are pretty close both in grade and cost and I really have no preference for the holder if the coins are similar, although using the NGC registry gives the edge to NGC.

All in all, folks should collect what they like.

The prime series I am currently working on is a fullstep Classic Jefferson Nickel set. I prefer NGC because (IMHO) NGC is much tighter on step designation than PCGS, while PCGS is tighter in grade by at least a 1/2 point. If you take your time and perform your "due diligence", I feel you can have a top notch collection from NGC that will rival a PCGS only set. You just have to pick the NGC coins that are nice for grade. There are dogs in both holders. Another benefit is cost. PCGS is much more expensive and in all honesty I can not afford to pay the crazy money that some top population PCGS coins command.

I have been working on the above set on and off for 15 years now so it is a labor of love as I am only 70 percent complete.

The other two sets that I currently have started but only purchase occasional coins for are the Classic Commeroratives and the Peace Dollar sets. In these sets I feel that both NGC and PCGS are pretty close both in grade and cost and I really have no preference for the holder if the coins are similar, although using the NGC registry gives the edge to NGC.

All in all, folks should collect what they like.

Amen brother.

I just purchased a 1947 MS 66 PLUS in an NGC slab that would have cost me 3 TIMES as much if it was in PCGS plastic. I like this coin MORE because it is colorful and fully original AND accurately graded----the PCGS coins that I've seen of late for this issue were all dipped.

I also bought a SPECTACULAR 1945-S in a NGC slab for about a third of the cost of a PCGS example. It's FUNNY how some issues are affected this way while others are NOT. i.e. a 1943-S or 1946-S MS coin would cost about the same regardless of whether it was a P or an N. When I see that a coin is 'all there' I will go for the NGC example every time to save money, if it is less and when I can, but when the prices are comparable between services for the SAME issue, then I will simply pick the BEST coin regardless of the plastic.

Gold, silver and copper/bronze in useless plastic....not good for entertaining or much else.

Gold, silver and copper/bronze in useless plastic....not good for entertaining or much else.

It's good for resale and getting your price back, possibly, upon resale. Much better than it was, for many, before that "useless" plastic. I was one, burned a lot, as a YN, in the days before plastic. What was MS was then circ when attempting to sell to a dealer.

On a more germane note to the thread as poised......

Rockhobby - the full steps and jeff nickels is one that I was thinking about when I posted the thread initially. I recall that there are some issues that NGC is much tougher on if that is what people are looking for. I believe that NGC may also be tougher on dimes with full (split) bands as well....

Thank you for posting that example. If I were into jeff nickels, I would probably do the same thing and focus on NGC examples.

Bochi Happy Birthday and please accept my most sincere apologies for getting on your nerves lately. You did nothing to deserve my outbursts here recently.

Bochi Happy Birthday and please accept my most sincere apologies for getting on your nerves lately. You did nothing to deserve my outbursts here recently.

Thank you, and, it's all good :)

I honestly didn't take anything you have said personally. I just state my piece and go from there. We're all good :D

I started my collection of $2.50 Indians with NGC plastic (AU58 to MS 61 only) and decided to finish the set with the same. I don't value/prioritize the premium associated with PCGS coins.

I'm not embarrassed to say the guys at NGC have more experience grading than I do, and thus the plastic holder matters to me in addition to the coin. As we all know, not all coins with the same 'grade' are created equal.

To get this back on topic after my mild distraction of a birthday wish. When I first started my SMS cameo collection I would only collect coins in PCGS plastic. Why? At the time PCGS had a much tighter standard for cameo and contrast was a must and probably the only factor that mattered. Of course grade was also a concern but they both seemed very consistent as far as grade went. The fact was there were coins in NGC plastic that I didn't consider to be cameo at all. In the lady few years I've sent in a few coins to NGC and cons that I considered no problem cameo plus coins are now coming back as no cam not even star. NGC has tightened the screws to the point where I don't know which service is tougher.

Here's an example is a raw coin that I sent to both services. I have in my collection a 1967 PCGS graded nickel in 67 dcam. The coin I believe would not deep cameo if submitted today and I'm not totally happy with the coin. I sent a nicer coin in to PCGS to see if I could replace the example with a better one. The coin came back as a 67 cameo. I was not happy about the grade so I cracked it Ave sent it to NGC because I figured it would for sure get the ucam designation. It's now in a 67 cameo NGC holder. I don't agree but I'm not a grader. All in all I'm left with a substandard deep cameo slab and an under graded coin that's not even worth the plastic is in.

On modern PR/MS70 coins, only PCGS and NGC makes sense with the huge valuations on some of the "perfect" coins. They are the only ones with real guarantees, only it may take a couple of months for them to agree with you on the coin being overgraded or problem and then fix it.

I've been seeing a lot more questionable coins in PCGS holders, not sure why, I have heard the same from a few others, NGC is the most consistent. If I am trying to turn a buck and the customer will not pay for a fancy schmancy grading job, I will go to ICG without apology, they have a pragmatic grading philosophy but they are cheap and they do things for free. A collector friend told me they called him up saying his coin needed a quick dip because of residue, they did it and then were able to grade the coin high. No charge. A lot better than raw though they get a few off. With the main services do the math on the numbers and the profits, what we don't see are the expenses except for CLCT since their stock filings are public.

First off, Happy birthday Bochiman!! I hope it was a great one!!!

As a World guy ( Germany and the Ottoman Empire) I'm NGC ONLY. My reasons for this are that I find NGC's standards on coins from these countries to be stricter and their grading more accurate. I posted some of my thoughts on this issue recently here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7613898&fpart=3

so I won't rehash the whole thing here. I think for you US guys, there are series where PCGS is the preferred, and ones where NGC is preferred. But in the two countries I collect, NGC really is the only option for accurate grading and the community of collectors of those nations seems to agree. I've seen some very rare German coins for sale in PCGS plastic, and the sellers just can't move them while the same coins in NGC plastic move quickly and easily.

As always, I'm not trying to bash. I'm just sharing my experiences and how things are in my little corner of world collecting.

~Tom

Tom, and others, thank you!

Yes, good birthday :)

As for the OP I made about coins/plastic....

The answers you gave are things I have wondered about but I have a more narrowed focus, so I figured I would just "ask out loud" here :)

I like to sock away a lot of different info, in case certain things pop up, so this is definitely a thread with info I will tuck away.

Appreciate it!

I collect primarily Morgan's and Peace Dollars. IMO, they are both about even in their grading. I see the same amount of head-scratchers in both TPG's holders. The coin really does matter in these two series.

I own coins in both holders.

Happy Birthday Bochiman! I like the toned Morgan dollar thread you started. Hope you like some of my toners. My 1878 8TF MS64 is my favorite.

I prefer PCGS plastic when it comes to higher grade early U.S. copper since I believe they are generally more accurate in their grading at that level.

Otherwise, if the coin is right for me, I'm fine with both major TPGs, but admit to having a aesthetic dislike for the white material NGC uses.

I prefer NGC plastic in my Eisenhower set, mainly because of price. Unlike most collectors here, I have no problem with not getting my money back. I still plan on donating my set to the Eisenhower Museum if they want it. The PCGS Ikes are beautiful compared to some of mine, but I would only have 6 or 7 coins in the highest grade instead of only needing 6 or 7 more to complete the set with all the highest graded examples for each one. Some of the dates only have 1-7 coins available in the highest grade, so I will buy the first one available if it is at a price I am comfortable with. If a better looking example comes available I will buy it and get what I can for the one being replaced. Maybe not the brightest way to collect, but it suits my needs with no worries. Have a great day, MAILMAN...

I prefer NGC plastic in my Eisenhower set, mainly because of price. Unlike most collectors here, I have no problem with not getting my money back. I still plan on donating my set to the Eisenhower Museum if they want it. The PCGS Ikes are beautiful compared to some of mine, but I would only have 6 or 7 coins in the highest grade instead of only needing 6 or 7 more to complete the set with all the highest graded examples for each one. Some of the dates only have 1-7 coins available in the highest grade, so I will buy the first one available if it is at a price I am comfortable with. If a better looking example comes available I will buy it and get what I can for the one being replaced. Maybe not the brightest way to collect, but it suits my needs with no worries. Have a great day, MAILMAN...

Quite to the contrary----it sounds like a good strategy to me.

Are there certain coin series that you won't entertain in certain plastic?

For me, no. I am far from an advanced collector nor are my pockets deep but it's about the coin - not the holder. I rarely buy coins in newer ANACS or any ICG holder but do occasionally if the price is right.

P.S. To those who collect slabs? More power to them. Someday I might put together a slab collection in and of itself. That is a different animal.

I think it pays to collect Mercury Dimes in PCGS Holders as well as Franklins because FBL and FSB are much easier to achieve over there. If a Franklin has FBL but a hit on the lines it's suppose to be disqualified in most cases here.

I think NGC does a better job with Morgans though.

I think it pays to collect Mercury Dimes in PCGS Holders as well as Franklins because FBL and FSB are much easier to achieve over there. If a Franklin has FBL but a hit on the lines it's suppose to be disqualified in most cases here.

I think NGC does a better job with Morgans though.

In addition to questions related to interference form contact marks, the two services also have different standards on the strike requirements for FBL and FS. PCGS requires the bottom three bands to be complete for FBL, while NGC requires all six. NGC requires the center band to be well-rounded and split for FB, not just split, as with PCGS.

For our 1/2c collection, I really only do look at PCGS. Reason is that I, for whatever reason one can say, have our registry set with them and I don't want to play a game of crossovers. I also have it as an Everyman's set and so I keep my perusals down in the AU and below. I am sure I miss out on some fine coins (in both plastics and in the MS category), but it is something I am doing with my son and I am trying to keep a focus.

I own zero early copper in ANY slab. So I suppose I won't entertain half-cents or large-cents in any plastic whatsoever, except with the intent to remove the certified early copper from its tomb (which I've done often).

For our 1/2c collection, I really only do look at PCGS. Reason is that I, for whatever reason one can say, have our registry set with them and I don't want to play a game of crossovers. I also have it as an Everyman's set and so I keep my perusals down in the AU and below. I am sure I miss out on some fine coins (in both plastics and in the MS category), but it is something I am doing with my son and I am trying to keep a focus.

I own zero early copper in ANY slab. So I suppose I won't entertain half-cents or large-cents in any plastic whatsoever, except with the intent to remove the certified early copper from its tomb (which I've done often).

Just make sure you dispose of the "tombs" in a proper recycle bin because plastic is bad for the environment.