• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Usually a coin that only scores 1 Registry point isn't a good thing but.......

6 posts in this topic

Finally tracked down a major Ottoman rarity!

Hello all,

So, I told myself that when I finally tracked down this coin, I'd become more active on the journal-message board side of things. So here's my newest Ottoman beauty!

The 1327 regnal year 7 ( 1915 in Western dating) 20 Para had a mintage of 800 coins, split between two different types. My coin is the first type, with the name Reshat next to the Tughra on the obverse. How the mintage exactly breaks down between the two types is unknown, but I've read a theorized breakdown of 500 of the first type and 300 of the second. Adding to the rarity of this coin is the large number of them defaced by the rebel states of Hejaz and Nejd ( present day Saudi Arabia) in the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire that began in late 1916 and eventually led to the Ottoman Empire's defeat in World War I. Due to the low mintage, the defacement by the rebel states and just regular circulation and other sources of attrition, almost the entire 1915 mintage of 20 Paras is gone today. I actually missed out on one of these a few years ago, and had been kicking myself ever since as this coin is RARE!! Really rare, to the point where it's a non-competitive issue on the Registry and scores 1 Registry point. But, thankfully, I got a second chance and didn't miss it! I usually wait to debut new coins until after they've been to NGC, but I couldn't wait this time!! So please welcome my new little beauty!!

15392.jpg

See more journals by Mohawk

Hi Rick!!

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, it's a 1 pointer because it's so rare it's a non-competitive display only coin. I think the 1876-CC 20 Cent Piece is the same sort of deal on the US side of the house. But man, am I glad to have this coin!! It's a one pointer for the best reason to be one!

~Tom

I forgot to add......I've been trying to hunt one of these up since 2009, before I even started here on NGC. This one's a dream come true!!

Congrats Tom! Perhaps you would not have appreciated the thrill of the hunt as much if you had acquired this coin in 2009. And thanks for finally posting about your Ottoman Empire collection. Every corner of the world coin world has its own fascinating stories that need a kind soul to bring them to light. ~jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the kind words! And I think you're 100% correct on both counts.....the longer hunt definitely made the acquisition even sweeter. I plan on posting more as well, particularly about my Ottoman projects, as my schedule allows......I just started my second to last semester of graduate school. I absolutely love what you said about every corner of world coins needing a kind soul to bring them to light......that is so true!! By the way.....I don't know if I said this elsewhere or not, but I LOVE that Fencing set you're working on!! Such a cool idea, and beautiful coins!

~Tom