• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Details vs Body bagged coins

5 posts in this topic

I posted a question on the thread Ask NGC but it takes awhile for the moderators to approve the question and then answer. I need a quicker answer or help finding an answer.

How bad does a coin have to be before NGC refuses to grade it as details, damaged, cleaned or whatever? I'm needing one coin to finish a registry set. It's beyond high end and I thought I'd never get one or finish my set. Well I found a raw one; with several scratches on reverse but not too bad, one small gouge on obverse under the date and another under the chin which is very small; more like a nick. It may have been cleaned as well. No bends, environmental damage, filled holes etc. it actually looks good for a VG - F. I know most people would never considered such a coin but I'd love to have it slabbed in any grade or details just to have a complete set. Even in its horrible state it's a 5 figure coin. I hate to buy it if I can't get it slabbed; I've never had a coin returned in a body bag but have had several details. The post from six mile Rick about body bags scares the h*ll out of me. Is there any pics or articles besides the vague ones on this site that might help me?

If you can read the date on the coin then they will encapsulate it unless it is a fake. The only body bag coin I had last year was illegible date. Send it through NCS for preservation and they will make it look better and remove anything that needs removed. How legible is the CC ??? I would imagine "knowing you" it is the 1879 $10 CC. :grin:

Good Luck!!

BTW --- I only had 1 body bager last year and "2" with details --- out of around 200 coins :)

Hey Rick,

Thanks very much for the quick response; it could have waited until your 6:00 am coffee though. I'm going to go ahead and buy it;and I feel a lot better about it. And I wish it was only the 1879-CC $10, it's not. It's actually much more than that one. The 1879-O $20.00 which will blow my budget for awhile....I'm going to have to loose the checkbook or have a small fire of sorts to keep my bookkeeper from divorceing me; oh well shes been a good ride. Maybe I can trade her in for two 25 year olds! No wait, that would just kill me.

Later

David

David,

Wish I had one laying around here. We have 4 graded BU Double Eagles but they are S mint pieces and different dates as well.

Good Luck on the coin and keep me in the loop on the grading! :)

Rick