• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Don't Get It?

6 posts in this topic

OK, I know that there is generally a disparity in market valuations between NGC and PCGS graded coins but particularly in this case, I don't understand it. For instance, comparing apples with apples, two ANA released reverse proof gold buffaloes were auctioned tonight by Great Collections. The one was in an NGC holder and the other PCGS. The PCGS coin with buyers commission closed at $3685.00 and the NGC coin closed at $2971.10. When I do the math it comes down to a $714 difference that I just don't get.

I checked the population reports of both NGC and PCGS. NGC grades 8590 coins out of 13,375 total as PF-70 or 64% of all the coins graded. PCGS grades 5056 coins out of 8741 total as PF-70 or 58% of all coins graded. Since 70's are not particularly rare and the ratio of 70 graded coins is similar, why the disparity?

Incidentally, I am not currently interested in purchasing this coin but if I were I would probably buy the NGC coin because it just doesn't make sense to pay $714 or 24% more for essentially the same coin.

Gary

NGC Gold Buffalo

PCGS Gold Buffalo

This is a typical example of how PCGS marketing has out-performed all the competition. The prices paid for many modern coins have nothing to do with the coins themselves.

When it comes to the "70" grade PCGS certified pieces have long commanded a significant premium to NGC pieces. In fact the auctions you cite demonstrate a lesser difference than is often the case. Is the price difference justified? Only you can say if you are a buyer of such pieces.

I have dabbled in the "70" game a bit myself and no longer frequent that playground. Not disparaging NGC or PCGS but I've seen plenty of 70s in both companies holders that looked a stretch for a true 69 and that got me back into classics! If I were to get back into it? It would buying raw product in OGP and submitting myself. I did well there a few years ago but with PMs in a more difficult period it would be tough to make much money these days.

PCGS learned a long time ago that the coins ere going to come in for grading no matter what. But by making their 70s scarcer and harder to make, eventually the ones that went to NGC instead of PCGS would end up at PCGS too for the perceived scarcity and bigger pay day. Brilliant business model IMO.

Poster: WoodenJefferson

Subject: Re: I Don't Get It?

it's quite simple really...one comes with a glass of Cool-Aid. ;\) (PCGS SLAB)

i agree!!

BUT...................................................................

will it turn out to be jim jones' Cool-aid hm in up and coming future years hm