• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943D - MS67+* 5FS Jefferson - Better Pics Added

52 posts in this topic

You caught the color just fine. The color wasn't why it didn't go MS68.

I meant for those questioning the star. The color bands are much more vibrant in hand.

I'm pleased with the overall grade of 67+* 5FS, just wish I could represent the look a little better.

I'M NOT DONE TRYING :sumo::grin:

OMG, I'm so embarrassed, I thought it crossed to a PCGS slab! I can see why you're trying to show off the color better, now. I think it would cross to a high-end MS67, anyway, as long as I just implicitly raised that issue. I think it's definitely good at a high-end MS67. For that matter, I think CAC would like it at that market grade, too.

wowzah like Lehigh said and he is an expert on this series....this is a great jeff and definitely even better than his own that he posted! Yours has less hits on the reverse too!

Nice coin.

Don't take this the wrong way - but, why did that get a star?

My guess is the eye appeal and color are just more intense in person. I'd rather not see a luster graze of that size on the open field above the dome on a 67+, personally.

Should that graze alone kill the +?

No, that coin is super clean and very deserving of the + grade. If you compare that coin to a typical MS67 Jefferson, the surfaces are certainly better. With respect to the star designation, I think your photos are just not showing the pop of the colors and luster the way it looks in hand. The photos are good mind you, but they just are not conveying the full scope of the coin's eye appeal.

I love that coin and think it is a great addition to any Jefferson Nickel registry set. It certainly blows away my 43-D which is an MS67 * 5FS.

JN1943-DNGCMS675FS_zps2e5cb3f4.jpg

This 43-D has a number of ticks on the reverse, though the obverse is very clean. Having a nice group of 67s in my collection, most of which I submitted raw, I'm not sure it would make 67 every time, based on my experience with this grade.

The luster graze above the dome is the primary reason the 67+ Coin is not graded 68, but there are also two ticks on Jefferson's bust that makes me think twice about a higher grade. This is all based on images, of course.

The slab photos are better and provide a good indication of the overall appearance of the coin, but you still need to get more light on the surface of the coin. Perhaps you should add a 3rd light.

The daily nickel lol

IMG_3036-horz_zps84a9aeac.jpg

The color looks better in that photo and the luster looks awesome as does the strike. I think the MS67+ grade is well deserved.

The daily nickel lol

IMG_3036-horz_zps84a9aeac.jpg

The color looks better in that photo and the luster looks awesome as does the strike. I think the MS67+ grade is well deserved.

Thanks Paul, for your insight and opinions. Obviously, by looking at your registry set, you know a thing or two about this series. (thumbs u

This toned coin photography gets frustrating sometimes - but I love doing it. After a few thousand more images I might get there lol

Nice coin.

My guess is the eye appeal and color are just more intense in person. I'd rather not see a luster graze of that size on the open field above the dome on a 67+, personally.

No, that coin is super clean and very deserving of the + grade. If you compare that coin to a typical MS67 Jefferson, the surfaces are certainly better. With respect to the star designation, I think your photos are just not showing the pop of the colors and luster the way it looks in hand. The photos are good mind you, but they just are not conveying the full scope of the coin's eye appeal.

I love that coin and think it is a great addition to any Jefferson Nickel registry set. It certainly blows away my 43-D which is an MS67 * 5FS.

This 43-D has a number of ticks on the reverse, though the obverse is very clean. Having a nice group of 67s in my collection, most of which I submitted raw, I'm not sure it would make 67 every time, based on my experience with this grade.

The luster graze above the dome is the primary reason the 67+ Coin is not graded 68, but there are also two ticks on Jefferson's bust that makes me think twice about a higher grade. This is all based on images, of course.

What's your opinion of this one that graded 67+ from PCGS?

http://coins.ha.com/c/lot-image.zx?saleNo=1204&lotNo=8927&lotIdNo=28082&inventoryNo=0&id=11129993

Here's another shot of mine, with some more light - This set shows the purple and blue, in the center of the coin, that was so elusive.

1_zps7452dc9d.jpg

Nice coin.

http://coins.ha.com/c/lot-image.zx?saleNo=1204&lotNo=8927&lotIdNo=28082&inventoryNo=0&id=11129993

Here's another shot of mine, with some more light - This set shows the purple and blue, in the center of the coin, that was so elusive.

1_zps7452dc9d.jpg

On the Heritage coin, I don't care for all those ticks on both sides on a 67+. It's more like 66. Some marks, including the one through the steps, are probably planchet voids, but they are in distracting locations. I think the semi-PL reverse and the toning gave this one a boost. It probably has great luster.

1_zps7452dc9d.jpg

Okay, you nailed it! That photo is awesome and now I think we can all appreciate the assigned grade. An absolutely magnificent example of a war nickel and probably the nicest 43-D I have ever seen. BRAVO!

With all due respect, this doesn't make sense to me. The coin and color are attractive; coins need not be toning free to receive a grade of MS68.

With all due respect, this doesn't make sense to me. The coin and color are attractive; coins need not be toning free to receive a grade of MS68.

Far be it for me to defend Kurtdog, but he was saying that the color was fine and that it didn't go MS68 for another reason. I asked him the reason and he stated that he thought the carbon spots (one on forehead, one on Monticello) were the reason the coin stayed at MS67+.

Personally I would have no problem with this coin in an MS68 holder and in my experience, it is usually color and the incredible eye appeal that it creates that vaults Jefferson Nickels into the MS68 realm. I can't recall seeing a white MS68 Jefferson Nickel of any date.

Far be it for me to defend Kurtdog, but he was saying that the color was fine and that it didn't go MS68 for another reason. I asked him the reason and he stated that he thought the carbon spots (one on forehead, one on Monticello) were the reason the coin stayed at MS67+.

Personally I would have no problem with this coin in an MS68 holder and in my experience, it is usually color and the incredible eye appeal that it creates that vaults Jefferson Nickels into the MS68 realm. I can't recall seeing a white MS68 Jefferson Nickel of any date.

I misread what he wrote. I read it as the color "was" rather than "wasn't." Sorry for any confusion.

Nice coin.

I snapped these pictures of my 1943-D NGC MS67*6FS today. It is from the same hoard that produced the coin above (based on the NGC serial numbers) and appearance. This piece might be a bit cleaner than that one, however.

1943Do5a_zpsb637610d.jpg

1943Dr5a_zps57583176.jpg

You have a great start to a war nickel set.

Not so great when you consider I have had this single war nickel for 11 years now... hm

Not hard to see why you've held onto it. Definitely a keeper (thumbs u

I'd try to pry it away from you but I have one for that particular slot ;)