• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943D - MS67+* 5FS Jefferson - Better Pics Added

52 posts in this topic

Just received word from NGC that my 43D received a 67+* 5FS. It's the only one in this grade. Not top POP but it looks like only 1 finer in 68* 5FS and 1 in 68* 6FS.

It was cracked out of an older NGC holder - MS 67 5FS . Was hoping for a 68* 5FS but the + was a nice little bonus :grin: . Never a question in regards to the * . Toning of both obverse and reverse are very pleasing to the eye.

Received it early in the week, just found time to take a couple pics.

1_zps7452dc9d.jpg

Full slab -

IMG_3023_zps5df21c04.jpg

Reverse -

IMG_3029_zps576c8d6f.jpg

Just received word from NGC that my 43D received a 67+* 5FS. It's the only one in this grade. Not top POP but it looks like only 1 finer in 68* 5FS and 1 in 68* 6FS.

It was cracked out of an older NGC holder - MS 67 5FS . Was hoping for a 68* 5FS but the + was a nice little bonus :grin: . Never a question in regards to the * . Toning of both obverse and reverse are very pleasing to the eye.

I'll post some images when I get it back in hand.

It sounds like a great coin. There are also a few in MS67*6FS, MS67+*6FS, and a 68*6FS that might be considered finer, but any high-end 67 is usually a knockout.

It sounds like a great coin. There are also a few in MS67*6FS, MS67+*6FS, and a 68*6FS that might be considered finer, but any high-end 67 is usually a knockout.

Entering my coin into the registry it received a point value of 2173. Probably not visible to the public yet, as it's the only one and, it was just graded yesterday.

The 67* 6FS has a point value of 1403. Probably not considered finer, at least, not by registry folks. ;)

NGC doesn't show a 67+* 6FS and I'm not seeing any in the top registry sets. No stars ATS so they couldn't be over there. Where are you seeing them? (shrug)

The 68* 6FS and the 68* 5FS I mentioned in the OP.

If I'm missing something please post a link.

Thanks - Mike

Entering my coin into the registry it received a point value of 2173. Probably not visible to the public yet, as it's the only one and, it was just graded yesterday.

The 67* 6FS has a point value of 1403. Probably not considered finer, at least, not by registry folks. ;)

NGC doesn't show a 67+* 6FS and I'm not seeing any in the top registry sets. No stars ATS so they couldn't be over there. Where are you seeing them? (shrug)

Thanks - Mike

The NGC populations for the 1943-D Jefferson Nickel are as follows:

MS67+: 0

MS67+ 5FS: 1

MS67+ 6FS: 2

MS67*: 50

MS67* 5FS: 7

MS67* 6FS: 5

MS68: 5

MS68 5FS: 1

MS68 6FS: 1

MS68*: 1

MS68* 5FS: 1

MS68* 6FS: 1

It appears that your newly graded MS67+* 5FS has not yet been added to the population reports. Your coin is most likely the finest coin not graded MS68. Congratulations on the upgrade. Please post a photo of the coin when you get it, I would love to see it. The 43-D is my most disappointing war nickel in my collection. What is the name of your registry collection?

Paul

Thanks - Mike

The NGC populations for the 1943-D Jefferson Nickel are as follows:

MS67+: 0

MS67+ 5FS: 1

MS67+ 6FS: 2

MS67*: 50

MS67* 5FS: 7

MS67* 6FS: 5

MS68: 5

MS68 5FS: 1

MS68 6FS: 1

MS68*: 1

MS68* 5FS: 1

MS68* 6FS: 1

It appears that your newly graded MS67+* 5FS has not yet been added to the population reports. Your coin is most likely the finest coin not graded MS68. Congratulations on the upgrade. Please post a photo of the coin when you get it, I would love to see it. The 43-D is my most disappointing war nickel in my collection. What is the name of your registry collection?

Paul

Thanks Paul,

When I received the grade and then took a look at the Registry I thought to myself " I wonder how long it will be before Lehigh96 inquires? lol

Very impressive set you have.

I'm just beginning to acquire Jeff's. This is only my 3rd coin from the war nickel series. I have two 67's one has 6FS and this 67+* 5FS.

I added this coin to the registry just to see where it's going to be rated. NGC imaged the coin (not very well) and I can see it in it's new holder but when I try to copy the image I get a message saying something like - this image is the property of NGC.

I'll post some images when I get it back.

Thanks again - Mike

Nice coin.

Don't take this the wrong way - but, why did that get a star?

My guess would be that it is very lustrous in hand and probably pops quite a bit in hand with the color. Congratulations Mike!

Nice coin.

My guess is the eye appeal and color are just more intense in person. I'd rather not see a luster graze of that size on the open field above the dome on a 67+, personally.

Nice coin.

exceptional eye appeal for grade

NGC explanation of STAR and PLUS grades

having coin in hand may be necessary to tell

Jason's question was more on the lines of, "Why did that qualify" than "What does a Star indicate."

Nice coin.

My guess would be that it is very lustrous in hand and probably pops quite a bit in hand with the color. Congratulations Mike!

Capturing the luster and color of this one turned out to be a bit tougher than I thought it would be. Looking at my images again I can see why you might question the star.

In hand you wouldn't. ;) I'll try again later.

Nice coin. Where are the full steps? I see a blank above C-E.

Looks like that's the reason it didn't get 6FS. NGC graded it 5FS....twice.

Thanks. I was counting only 4....however, there seems to be some dog poo on step #2.... :)

Nice coin.

My guess is the eye appeal and color are just more intense in person. I'd rather not see a luster graze of that size on the open field above the dome on a 67+, personally.

Should that graze alone kill the +?

Nice coin.

Should that graze alone kill the +?

No, that coin is super clean and very deserving of the + grade. If you compare that coin to a typical MS67 Jefferson, the surfaces are certainly better. With respect to the star designation, I think your photos are just not showing the pop of the colors and luster the way it looks in hand. The photos are good mind you, but they just are not conveying the full scope of the coin's eye appeal.

I love that coin and think it is a great addition to any Jefferson Nickel registry set. It certainly blows away my 43-D which is an MS67 * 5FS.

JN1943-DNGCMS675FS_zps2e5cb3f4.jpg

I think what held Mike's coin back is the distractions. I think PCGS just put more emphasis on the color than NGC did. I think from a technical standpoint both these TPGs want to see a "cleaner" coin for MS68. On the steps, I can see "5," what the heck? It's plausible, and they know their market is going to shell out for it, and that's all these market grades are.

I think what held Mike's coin back is the distractions. I think PCGS just put more emphasis on the color than NGC did. I think from a technical standpoint both these TPGs want to see a "cleaner" coin for MS68. On the steps, I can see "5," what the heck? It's plausible, and they know their market is going to shell out for it, and that's all these market grades are.

Kurt,

What distractions are you talking about? That is one of the cleanest Jeffersons I have ever seen. IMO, an MS68 must have booming luster. I haven't seen the coin in hand but my guess is that the luster is typical of an MS67 and not superlative which precluded the MS68 grade.

Regarding the steps, PCGS has only ever required 5 full steps for the designation. NGC tried to stick to their guns requiring 6 full steps, but they were forced to adopt the 5 full steps as well in 2004 in order to compete with PCGS. As a Jefferson Nickel collector, I accept that 5 steps is enough to warrant the designation and worthy of a premium. Downplaying the significance of 5 full steps involves ignoring how many nickels don't meet that criteria.

I'm talking about the carbon spots. The two most prominent are the one on the forehead and the one just off the upper-left corner of the building. There are more, but those are the most significant, in terms of drawing the eye. The surfaces on both sides are nice, you're right about that.

Kurt,

What distractions are you talking about? That is one of the cleanest Jeffersons I have ever seen. IMO, an MS68 must have booming luster. I haven't seen the coin in hand but my guess is that the luster is typical of an MS67 and not superlative which precluded the MS68 grade.

Regarding the steps, PCGS has only ever required 5 full steps for the designation. NGC tried to stick to their guns requiring 6 full steps, but they were forced to adopt the 5 full steps as well in 2004 in order to compete with PCGS. As a Jefferson Nickel collector, I accept that 5 steps is enough to warrant the designation and worthy of a premium. Downplaying the significance of 5 full steps involves ignoring how many nickels don't meet that criteria.

I have to admit, trying to capture the color of this one has been a fruitless task. The jaw line, neck and upper collar areas all have a hint of the lightest purple. The areas directly around that are very light blue. From there the color goes into a burnt orange, pink and green combination around the rim. The reverse, the color bands are orange, pink and green and are most vivid and prominent from the upper corners of the memorial down through United States of America.

I've tried 1,2 and 3 lights. Halogens, CFL's and LED's. High angle bare bulbs and diffused. I even tried taking it out on the back deck in the natural sunlight! This highly lustrous nickel with color is being very stubborn! :frustrated: I'm kicking myself for not imaging the coin when I had it cracked out of it's old holder!

The only way the color starts to pop is if the reflection of the light is right on the coin. I don't care for that look but maybe I'll post one later so the color can be seen.