• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic Photography Using an iPad

8 posts in this topic

I'll be waiting for replays as well.

My daughter can get amazing pics on her iPod that I could only dream about getting with my SLR

Martin

I'm not sure what type of answers you're looking for. I know if I take a pic with either my iph or ipad, I shoot it to my email at home so I can pull it up on my photoshop to fine tune it. Other than that, don't really know of any other techniques for taking pictures with one except for point and shoot. lol Sorry no more help!

You can get better shots at higher magnification if you shoot through a loupe. Also, it's best to shoot straight on, not at an angle, but lighting may be a problem with the large form factor of the iPad.

The best way to get great coin pictures with a tablet or smartphone is to use its browser, navigate to a photo gear dealer's website (B&H, Adorama, ...) and order some camera equipment. :)

The second best way is to use your own lights and make sure the device isn't casting a shadow on the subject by allowing the coin to not fill the frame. For web photos, an 800x800 image is fine. If you have a 5 MP camera in your device, you're at 2580x1930, assuming a 4:3 ratio. Keep the camera level with respect to the coin. Setting a bullseye bubble level on the back of the device may help you with this.

The best way to get great coin pictures with a tablet or smartphone is to use its browser, navigate to a photo gear dealer's website (B&H, Adorama, ...) and order some camera equipment. :)

lol

Can't argue with that.

When my instant camera was having problems getting the white balance correct and all the pictures were coming out screwy I used my iPad Air and amazingly the pictures white balance was dead on and the pictures were much better than with the instant Coolpix that was on it's way out.

But that is my only experience with the iPad and coin pictures as they (Apple) make it so difficult to upload pictures to anything but Yahoo I got aggravated and slung the damn think across the room.