• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1866 Sheild Nickel Mint Error OR Body Bag?

11 posts in this topic

Definitely Details Scratched. Sorry. I just had NGC kick back a details scratched on a Morgan that I had to look very hard to find. This one's right, smack in the center. If it were an 1880 you'd be fine, but the '66, while sought after, ain't all that.

Thants for looking and comments. Even though the planchet was gouged prior to being struck, I would expect the purple label. Added Pic of the front & close up of the area. Any other commnents welcome. Thanks.

146125.jpg.7022f67e705eac2b0be890d28484af7d.jpg

146126.jpg.e0ae32202e1c3de258f2707e5fa79bb8.jpg

Not sure why you think this was pre-strike damage. Looks like clear post mint damage to me. Look at the metal displacement at the deepest part of the gash.

Not sure why you think this was pre-strike damage. Looks like clear post mint damage to me. Look at the metal displacement at the deepest part of the gash.

I agree.

The curved crack on the 5, seems to have started just above the 5 if looked at under a glass, then crimped at the 5 and the grand canyon below.

The curved crack on the 5, seems to have started just above the 5 if looked at under a glass, then crimped at the 5 and the grand canyon below.

You are entitled to have your theories, but the scratch began inside the "5" toward the bottom, got deeper as it went north until it "jumped the fence" below the top of the "5" and made one more little hit. Die cracks are raised lines above the surface of the coin, not into the coin. The only way you would get a mint caused line like this would be via a struck-through when a foreign material got on the die and was pressed into the surface. This is not a struck-though; it is a scratch.