• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone purchase the Baseball Commems?

85 posts in this topic

From my experience (so far), with differing order statuses and cancel boxes disappearing and reappearing, you can't depend on your previous experiences with the Mint.

If your order went "In process", and your CC was charged (or pinged) for $4.95, you're getting the bag. Coins won't be shipped until the item status goes from Backordered to In stock and reserved.

With my first order (An ASE proof and Au/Ag/Clad HOF coins), my cancel boxes did disappear when the ASE proof and the bag went "In stock and reserved", but reappeared after a couple of days. The entire order didn't ship until the HOF coins went "in stock". (Of course, the ship date would slip one day every day, so I was expecting the coins to ship tomorrow for about 5 days...)

It was shipped in three boxes. Ag and Clad arrived first, followed by the Au in one box and my ASE Proof and bag in another.

I posted the pics in a couple of other places, so I may as well put 'em here, too... :)

Edited to add: NGC has a Early Release cutoff day of May 8, if anyone's keeping track. PCGS has no FS cutoff date yet, but they have graded some FS coins.

Some quick and dirty HOF pics...

Silver/Clad packaging:

packaging.jpg

$1 Proof:

AgPr.jpg

$1 Uncirc:

AgUnc.jpg

Clad Proof:

CladPr.jpg

Clad Uncirc:

CladUnc.jpg

Ag/Clad obliques:

Oblique.jpg

Au Packaging:

AuPackaging.jpg

$5 uncirc:

AuUnc.jpg

$5 oblique

AuOblique.jpg

Didn't order a proof with my first order. Wanted to see demand first... :( Had I known, I'd have ordered a boatload. :grin:

I received mine today as well. The bag is nice too. They came via USPS so if there was FEDEX involved at one point it changed over at some point. Seems kind of dumb if they did that but whatever....

jom

BTW Backroad, those are some pretty nice pictures of some pretty hard to capture coins, at least I'm assuming they will be hard to capture due to their domed surfaces.

BTW Backroad, those are some pretty nice pictures of some pretty hard to capture coins, at least I'm assuming they will be hard to capture due to their domed surfaces.
Thanks.

Yeah, it's like trying to take a picture of a security mirror. I was wearing a green shirt with the first pics, and the entire bottom portion of the coin was green. :(

The coin needs to be put in a box (or container) with a uniform color, and the shot taken from the top to get the entire color of the coin consistent. Then you either have to have good lighting (or a tele-macro lens) to get the DoF so the coin is sharp from rim to center.

You should also remove all the black lint from the crappy mint packaging. That's what all the black stuff is on the gold oblique. Heh...

I ordered one of each on the third day after release. I got a back order email for 7/07/14. Then yesterday I got a shipping notice that I assumed was for the free bag as it was shown as shipped. But what I don't understand is it was sent second day air WITH signature required. Is this just standard US mint mailing or am I getting my coins early? To the ones that just got their bags and coins are still on back order did you have to sign for your bag?

Thanks,

David

I ordered one of each on the third day after release. I got a back order email for 7/07/14. Then yesterday I got a shipping notice that I assumed was for the free bag as it was shown as shipped. But what I don't understand is it was sent second day air WITH signature required. Is this just standard US mint mailing or am I getting my coins early? To the ones that just got their bags and coins are still on back order did you have to sign for your bag?

Thanks,

David

If your coins are still "backordered", and only your bag is "in stock and reserved", and your credit card was pinged for $4.95, it's the bag.

If your order (over $300) was given the "free" upgrade to 2nd day, everything in your order will come with a "signature required" mandate. Even the bag.

If the order was under $300, the bag will (eventually) come by USPS.

Just got my grades from our host. Good report card. Home run. Especially those clads. And both those Ag Unc's looked like 70's to me! :grin:

001 2014 P BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

002 2014 P BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

003 2014 P BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES S$1 MS 70

004 2014 P BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES S$1 MS 69

005 2014 S BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES 50C PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

006 2014 S BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES 50C PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

007 2014 D BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES 50C MS 70

008 2014 D BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES 50C MS 70

009 2014 W BASEBALL HALL OF FAME EARLY RELEASES $5 MS 70

Overall, I'm happy. Did better than average. :cool:

Congrats you did great on that order. (thumbs u
Thanks. Can't wait to get these in hand and see what they look like in a slab. Hopefully as good as they did in the mint capsules.

Oh, and just for everyone's information, the silver HOF dollars are now sold out on the mint site...

Thanks. Can't wait to get these in hand and see what they look like in a slab. Hopefully as good as they did in the mint capsules.

Oh, and just for everyone's information, the silver HOF dollars are now sold out on the mint site...

Whew my silver proof shows shipping today. :wishluck:

Congrats on your grades. I just got my grades today.

001 2014 W BASEBALL HALL OF FAME FIRST RELEASES $5 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

002 2014 W BASEBALL HALL OF FAME FIRST RELEASES $5 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

003 2014 P BASEBALL HALL OF FAME FIRST RELEASES S$1 MS 70

004 2014 P BASEBALL HALL OF FAME FIRST RELEASES S$1 PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO

Finally got the coins back yesterday.

The coins don't look as good in the slabs as they do in the curved mint packaging. (However, having a 70 on it makes up for a lot. Heh.) If you're wondering what the best presentation for the coins are, it's probably in the OGP.

Here's what obverses with the HOF label looks like. The reverses look just like you'd think, so I didn't bother taking pics. The dollar slabs look larger, but it's an illusion because they're thicker, and closer to the lens. (I'm right on top of the slabs.) They have the same height and width of a standard slab, but are about 9/16" thick as opposed to the standard 3/8", 50% thicker.

HOF_MS_Web.jpg

HOF_PF_Web.jpg

And this is what the card looks like. Sadly, it is 2.3" x 3.4", as opposed to 2.5" x 3.5" of a standard baseball card. What were they thinking? :D (But I still found enough "Rookie Card" top loaders to put them in. Those of you who did baseball cards will understand...)

BBHOF_Card.jpg

Mine went from 6/21 to 5/19 so not so bad. I only ordered the proof. Kind of regret not getting the uncirc dollar too now. Didn't know they would be backordered so long. Couldn't afford both of the at the time. Oh well.

Mine went from 6/21 to 5/19 so not so bad. I only ordered the proof. Kind of regret not getting the uncirc dollar too now. Didn't know they would be backordered so long. Couldn't afford both of the at the time. Oh well.

If you could only order one, the proof is much more attractive. You chose well.

I just checked the status and it moved further back;

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 1 $51.95 $51.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 06/12/2014.

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER UNC 1 $47.95 $47.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 06/19/2014.

sigh...maybe by Christmas.

Man, first I'm b/o til 6/21. Then the past week it's been jumping around from 5/12 - 5/19. Then it jumps to 7/21. What the hecks up with that?

I recieved my first 3 Half Dollar Proofs week and 1/2 ago, but my Silver Dollar Proof was on back order for 7-21-2014, I only did one of them. But now I just checked on it tonight and it is now back ordered till 8-21-2014. I also have 7 more Proof Half's ordered and they are backordered till 6-21-2014. Gonna Give them to my kids and parents. They are pretty cool.

Questions;

Do you think this new curved coin is gonna start a new era of coins?

Being this the first curved coin for u.s. mint and such low mintage numbers, Do you really think they will top out a price any time soon? Or will they just keep going up and up slowly but surely?

Questions;

Do you think this new curved coin is gonna start a new era of coins?

I would hope they would only do it for appropriate coinage.

Let's face it, the ball and glove were perfect fits for both sides of the coin. It would be dumb to just start making curved coins for the heck of it. There should be a reason why the coins are made three dimentional.

I do agree that the Moon would be a good fit in a few years for the 50th anniv. of the moon landing. I just don't know what you'd put on the concave side. (I don't think my previous suggestion of Autobot and Decepticon logos would be considered, even though it's be the 50th anniversary of the discovery of Sentinal Prime's ship, too. :grin: ) Maybe a star map would work, but it'd be pretty small on the $5 gold...

Being this the first curved coin for u.s. mint and such low mintage numbers, Do you really think they will top out a price any time soon? Or will they just keep going up and up slowly but surely?

Low mintage numbers? 40K/400K/750K coins aren't exactly low mintage.

My WAG is prices will stabilize, and most likely go down when the flood of coins come when the Mint and/or Novitex gets their act together and starts shipping coins. If the mint does a big marketing campaign for the clads during the summer at the ballparks/during ballgames, demand may push the prices back up.

Over the long run? I think this issue will hold value. Even more so for FS/ER labels. (See below.)

I'm still waffling with my coins. On one hand, I should sell them all and strike while prices are stupid high. But if I do, I'm afraid I'll never be able to get them back for a lower price. (All are ER, 8 of 9 are MS/PF-70.)

Now, to my real question, when will NGC update the pops on these coins? First Strike and Early Release is now history. Anecdotal evidence says not many coins (relatively speaking) got to the TPG's. Most likely only the pre-sales struck coins.

(I am more interested in NGC's numbers, since Early Release is now fixed, unlike First Strike...)

I'm kinda wondering the same thing about the numbers. Well I got my first 3 back Today from NGC, ended up with all 3- ER with 1 @PF-69 and 2 @ PF-70. It really suprised me that both the ones that had pits in them are the 2- 70's. I have looked and looked with my 15 loop and for the life of me I can't find anything wrong with the PF-69. However both 70's have Pits in them. I just don't understand...

I would hope they would only do it for appropriate coinage.

Let's face it, the ball and glove were perfect fits for both sides of the coin. It would be dumb to just start making curved coins for the heck of it. There should be a reason why the coins are made three dimentional.

lol!! I was thinking more along the lines like Basketball, Golf and Tennis Series like that.

I guess only time will tell.

Thanks for your input!

My order for the half dollar is "backordered" to 4/10/14. :insane: The other two coins are "backordered" to mid July.

I think that a lot of us who "got in under the wire" before the "sold out" sign was posted are going to get the coins that the flippers rejected or get nothing at all. The mint is handling this whole thing very poorly.

I've been a long time collector of the modern commemorative coins in Proof, but this year has broken my set. I could not stomach the purchase of the 1964 Civil Rights dollar because of the unending quotas and reverse discrimination that that piece of legislation created. The HOF coins have left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't know if I want to mess with this stuff any further.