• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP 1895-O MOrgan dollar

14 posts in this topic

The coin is VF 35-XF40 but it looks like it's a fake. The color is troubling and the cotton bowls, ear, breast feathers and bow seem too weak when the other details seem ok.

I don't know about this one........

The meat looks XF but the lack of luster says VF+. I really like it because these surfaces are not often seen in the day of dipped and dripping luster even on XF coins. The strike looks pretty good for the date.

ICG XF40.

The coin is VF 35-XF40 but it looks like it's a fake.

I was thinking the very same thing except XF45 then I scrolled down and the first opinion was yours saying it looked fake,

Probably has something to do with the way it was photographed.

It was photographed using natural sunlight as the source and it causes certain spots at certain angles to be hazy and appear weakly struck. But this coin does have a weak strike.

I don't like it myself. Been thinking about returning it but the guy says if I want to return it its going to cost me $30....I'm pretty upset about it because I have done a lot of business with him......he gets about 75% if my disposable coin money. I'm not sure anymore.

It was photographed using natural sunlight as the source and it causes certain spots at certain angles to be hazy and appear weakly struck. But this coin does have a weak strike.

I don't like it myself. Been thinking about returning it but the guy says if I want to return it its going to cost me $30....I'm pretty upset about it because I have done a lot of business with him......he gets about 75% if my disposable coin money. I'm not sure anymore.

What don't you like about it?

Personally I think it's a nice coin. It has a nice original look to it.

I would grade this coin as an EF-40.

For those who think that it should grade lower because of the dull surfaces and the flat strike, the rebuttal to that is that this is an 1895-O dollar. These coins were among the poorest executed in the entire Morgan dollar series. Flat strikes with missing breath feather detail and flat hair detail about the Ms. Liberty's ear are norm along with dull, lifeless luster. This coin has been dull since the day it was struck, and would not improve in circulation.

I'm sure the photography more than anything else influenced my opinion. If you like it I'd say keep it. Obviously people much more knowledgable than I here like it. If you keep it the whole $30 thing goes away but will carry some sway in your future dealings.