• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade: 1968 Roosevelt (Revealed)

9 posts in this topic

Clad coins are not my strong suit. The reverse looks pl but the obverse appears to be in a scruffy slab. I'm guessing MS 66. Why someone would have this graded is beyond me. It's just a few bucks, no?

If it is a business strike and a FT then at 67 up it is worthwhile but I don't see a FT nor anything near a 67 so I am thinking there must be a twist.

Of course it would not be the first time NGC (or PCGS for that matter) have put an incorrect grade and/or designation on a holder.

edited to add:

I forgot about the 1968 No S SMS Proof

So whatever grade it got as a SMSProof 'No S' it is killer!!!

Got rid of the SMS. since 68 was a regular proof set.. doh!

If it is a business strike and a FT then at 67 up it is worthwhile but I don't see a FT nor anything near a 67 so I am thinking there must be a twist.

No twist, I promise. I was curious about grade opinions. And not in a FT or a 67 holder; I agree that it is clearly none of those things. ;)

Edited: It is a cheap coin that I picked up about a year ago because pre 1984 proofs are much scarcer than PL pieces since then. It was already certified. The coin is neither rare nor expensive; I picked it up because I find PLs interesting.

:grin:

OK. I was hoping for you it was the elusive 'No S'. ;)

In light of new facts I will say MS65 PL.

I wish you would tell us it is a 'No S'. I love happy endings..

:grin:

OK. I was hoping for you it was the elusive 'No S'. ;)

In light of new facts I will say MS65 PL.

I wish you would tell us it is a 'No S'. I love happy endings..

I wish. If it was, this thread would be in the Marketplace, with a link to a Heritage Auction. Sadly, it's not a proof. :(

FWIW I would have guessed 65PL. I couldn't tell for sure if some of what I was seeing was die polish. But since I thought PL I guess that would have been a dead giveaway it was die polish duh!