• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1811/10 Bust Half

27 posts in this topic

Although softly struck in a few areas and lacking in luster, I like the originality and belivev it has AU meat on it. PCGS is so tough on luster that they may have it in an AU50 or even XF45 holder. I grade it AU55.

This is an extremely series to grade even the TPG's get it wrong a lot of the time. That being said I will guess 45 and quite possibly 50.

Love the antique toning. Looks like a 45, but with decent luster could be AU. Have seen too many Busties with this sort of strike (LDS) and deep toning end up in PCGS XF holders even though there is plenty of luster there....

Wouldnt matter to me though, great coin all around!

Just got this new 1811/10 Bust Half. Guess the grade if you want!

IMG_1585copy_zps2ee9e74e.jpg

IMG_1590copy_zpsa76dc870.jpg

Sweet pick up, Jason. I see it as a LDS XF45. But, as Dave said, if there is more luster than the pics show could go AU50.

Here's a 45 for comparison.

1811over10xf45sm.jpg

Very nice coin. Looks like a 50 to me although I wouldn't quibble with a grade level on either side.

My 11/10 is a slightly later die state even than yours. Bought raw for 45 money...

18dot11o.jpg

18dot11r.jpg

If the "X" behind Liberty's cap is on the coin I'd agree with X2Rider, if not, I'd guess 50-53. Very nice addition!!!

That "x" doesn't look bad to me, even in an enlarged image, so I would be surprised if the coin were details graded due to that. I'll go with AU50.

VF25?

Generally, when your grade guess is that far off from that of so many others, it should give you pause to reconsider your grading standards.

For example, did you see the image of the one in this thread, which NGC graded XF45?

If the "X" behind Liberty's cap is on the coin I'd agree with X2Rider, if not, I'd guess 50-53. Very nice addition!!!
I think the two horizontal lines are actually on the Slab the vertical line looks like it's actually on the coin and I don't believe it's enough to prevent it from grading.

Here is my earlier die state O-101, formerly small holdered ANACS 45, now PCGS 45. Check out the star details, and the detail on the eagle head and wing. Then look at the rub on the bust, and the flatness of the two hair curls often used for grading. It has too much field action to be graded PCGS 50. The double profile is just an added bonus.

The graders often have a hard time grading late date Busties. I believe my coin is graded properly.

1811O-101A45obvL.jpg

1811O-101A45revL.jpg

I think the two horizontal lines are actually on the Slab the vertical line looks like it's actually on the coin and I don't believe it's enough to prevent it from grading.

Yup - the vertical line behind her head is a very faint hairline that the light picked up just the right way. The horizontal line is a scatch on the slab.

PCGS gave it an XF-45, and it has a CAC green bean. After comparing it with a number of other graded examples, I think this one should be a 50.

O man I can't believe I'm going to say this but

Genuine / Scratches

i dont know why but im in this camp as well. jmo

I think I know why - you're being overly harsh. ;)

Yup - the vertical line behind her head is a very faint hairline that the light picked up just the right way. The horizontal line is a scatch on the slab.

PCGS gave it an XF-45, and it has a CAC green bean. After comparing it with a number of other graded examples, I think this one should be a 50.

It is difficult to tell from the pics, but taking your in hand word for it, I should add that there is a lot of this going around...

In my opinion, the scratch behind the liberty cap and the two little punch outs near the 8, and above the bust, are fairly minor issues, but what bothers me more is the messy damage in and around the 50 ¢ area of the reverse, so although the amount of wear on the high points is probably equivalent to AU-50, I'd have net graded it XF-40.

That being said, I wouldn't give much of a hoot about the actual grade number, I think it's an extremely interesting piece, in a delicious late die state.

In my opinion, the scratch behind the liberty cap and the two little punch outs near the 8, and above the bust, are fairly minor issues, but what bothers me more is the messy damage in and around the 50 ¢ area of the reverse, so although the amount of wear on the high points is probably equivalent to AU-50, I'd have net graded it XF-40.

That being said, I wouldn't give much of a hoot about the actual grade number, I think it's an extremely interesting piece, in a delicious late die state.

Good assessment from the images, I agree. PCGS was tough on this one calling it a 45. I imagine the lack of luster hurt as did the other minor issues mentioned; the coin is AU+ technically IMO.

O man I can't believe I'm going to say this but

Genuine / Scratches

i dont know why but im in this camp as well. jmo

I think I know why - you're being overly harsh. ;)

I will bow to obviously far more coin knowledge than mine :)

These minor problems are most likely why its in a 45 slab. The issues are minor enough that they don't bother me on this coin - but your assessment is spot-on.