• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent

18 posts in this topic

I took two sets of pictures. One using the Neutral Setting (1st set) on the camera and the other using the Faithful Setting (2nd set). White balance was manually set using a white photo card. The f-stop seemed to do best at f/8.0

I think they will provide enough contrast between the two to come to a conclusion. The Neutral seemed to be the most accurate.

Curious as to what others think it would grade.

1857_EagleFront_01.jpg

1857_EagleReverse_01.jpg

1857_EagleFront_02.jpg

1857_EagleReverse_02.jpg

I think it would look great in one of my 7070's! Now for the negative I too believe it to be AU it seems like it may have had a cleaning. nonetheless I like it a lot.

I would say this one falls into the MS-62 or 63 category. It has some minor marks, including one on the obverse edge at 7k. The strike slightly better than average, and the eye appeal is okay although the piece is a bit dark.

Some of the minor weakness in the details is probably due to the strike. The design was discontinued after only two years for general circulation because metal flow issues often resulted in coins with weakness, especially on the eagle's tail.

I would be curious as to the wear you see on the breast and would lead you to decide it is an AU coin? :)

I thought those pictures were pretty darn good and very detailed. Guess not. Here is one that you can show me the wear on. It is much more detailed.

IMG_0081a.jpg

The lighting being dark is my fault. It is much more red than those pictures but I liked the chocolate look. Wish it did look like that.

IMG_0098a.jpg

IMG_0096a.jpg

This is looking through a microscope. The surface is not covered in any lines. Just normal finish for the coin I think.

IMG_0097a.jpg

IMG_0099a.jpg

IMG_0100a.jpg

IMG_0101a.jpg

Hahahaha!

Now there are some pictures for you. (thumbs u

Coin looks to me to be an MS 63 BN. Couple rim hits and the marks on the obverse field hold it back. It's a bit weakly struck on the reverse (these are normally weakest on the obverse so It might get an MS 64 on a really good day.

Coin looks to me to be an MS 63 BN. Couple rim hits and the marks on the obverse field hold it back. It's a bit weakly struck on the reverse (these are normally weakest on the obverse so It might get an MS 64 on a really good day.

It looks like an MS63 to me. But Flying Eagle Cents are not designated for (their) color.

OK. I snapped a couple more pictures and this time I used a smaller aperture and got the light where it shows the color of the coin much more accurate.

1857_EagleFront_02a.jpg

1857_EagleReverse_02a.jpg

I did these fast so they are lacking a little but oh well.

OK. I snapped a couple more pictures and this time I used a smaller aperture and got the light where it shows the color of the coin much more accurate.

1857_EagleFront_02a.jpg

1857_EagleReverse_02a.jpg

I did these fast so they are lacking a little but oh well.

If those new images are accurate, I'm concerned about the color being too light/unoriginal and possibly indicative of a cleaning. If, on the other hand, they aren't accurate, please update us if/when you have some which might help us assess the coin.

I think that will have to do. I am colorblind Mark and I have a very hard time telling the difference in close shades of color.

So when I have the coin under the lens and am looking at it through my monitor I am trying to get the colors as accurate as I can but I believe it to be impossible for me to nail it completely.

I would say take the top two pictures and the last two pictures and then find an average in between and that is probably it.

I was more curious about the numerical grade based on lack of wear and I thought the coin to also be a MS63 to MS64.

It will just go in an envelope anyway unless I get the desire one day to submit it. But I never once considered it an AU coin since there is absolutely no wear on the highest points so that surprised me.

Thanks for all the guesses.

I think that will have to do. I am colorblind Mark and I have a very hard time telling the difference in close shades of color.

So when I have the coin under the lens and am looking at it through my monitor I am trying to get the colors as accurate as I can but I believe it to be impossible for me to nail it completely.

I would say take the top two pictures and the last two pictures and then find an average in between and that is probably it.

I was more curious about the numerical grade based on lack of wear and I thought the coin to also be a MS63 to MS64.

It will just go in an envelope anyway unless I get the desire one day to submit it. But I never once considered it an AU coin since there is absolutely no wear on the highest points so that surprised me.

Thanks for all the guesses.

Sorry for the difficulty - imaging and assessing images can be plenty tough enough, without being color-blind.

Yes it is extremely aggravating. But hey; that is what wives are for.

Since my wife has come home I had her match the color. If these colors look cleaned or what ever then I am fine with that since she said that the color shades match correctly now.

1857_EagleReverse_03a.jpg

1857_EagleFront_03a.jpg

I also had my camera on shutter priority instead of aperture priority like I thought the last few attempts I made.

Thank again for all the input.

Yes it is extremely aggravating. But hey; that is what Wives are for.

Since my wife has come home I had her match the color. If these colors look cleaned or what ever then I am fine with that since she said that the color shades match correctly now.

1857_EagleReverse_03a.jpg

1857_EagleFront_03a.jpg

I also had my camera on speed priority instead of aperture priority like I thought the last few attempts I made.

Thank again for all the input.

That last set of images is more reassuring - keep the wife ;)

That last set of images is more reassuring - keep the wife ;)

Hahahaha!

I don't know what I would do without her. doh!

Thanks Mark.

I agree. I see nothing in the latest round of pictures that suggests the color is wrong for the coin.

You should keep the wife, her eyesight is but one of her better qualities I'm sure.

Yeah it is really messed up that, from what I know, a woman can't be color-blind but they are carriers of the gene.

I got the short end of the stick and it has held me back from certain jobs all the way back from the military to long after.

I use to deer hunt but I could never see the things unless they moved. I killed quite a few deer but I can't even imagine how many I missed in which were never seen by me.

btw; I think your earlier guess as far as the details go on the coin were right where I was at in my guess.

Thanks