• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to look for in the US Mint.

14 posts in this topic

A few of the boys and I from over in the Comic section were tossing around the idea of busting into the US Mint and helping ourselves to a few samples. Quite frankly, we have NO idea what to look for (besides the run of the mill 20's, 50s and 100s) and I was hoping against hope that one of you Coinees could accompany us on our little field trip as a technical advisor. If this is not possible, could you please tell us what to look for in the way of what may be of extreme value? Dies, proofs, plates, etc.? As long as we're making the trip, we might as well do it right. Thank you in advance. cool.gif

First of all, if you bust into the Mint, you'll have a difficult time finding much paper money. Other than that it sounds as though the plan is off to a great start.

The Philly mint used to keep a significant amount of gold. There is also about 500 pounds on display. Dies are good. Watch out for the cops though, they have their own police force and security nearly as good as Fort Knox.

I read ya'. frown.gif Well since the security is on par with Ft.Knox, hence, the level of difficulty just about the same, perhaps with the guarantee of a much bigger payoff if we successfully pull this off, perhaps the boys and I from the Comic Forum are better off putting all our eggs in one basket and concentrating our combined efforts on Ft.Knox!! shocked.gif Thank you for the input. Anyone want us to pick you up anything special while we're in there? laugh.gif

Don't forget there's a large army base near Fort Knox, which they can call them in at anytime in case they're being attacked. Just saying what you said can possibly get you in trouble. Maybe I should forward this thread to the FBI?

You boys would be better hacking into a bank online and swiping funds through wires.

Every year, my City gets $60,000 in $1's, $5's, and $20's for a festival we put on. The bag weighs close to 400 pounds (and that's paper money). The Mint deals in coins, and just think of how much that equivalent in coins would weigh. Unless you plan on breaking in with a forklift or a dump truck, you wouldn't get far.

Hmmm...last I heard you couldn't get within 500 yards of the fence at Ft. Knox without some friendly agents pointing you in the direction of the nearest highway with the barrels of their machine guns.

If you wanted to break in to Fort Knox all you need are a bunch of puppies and some large trucks. All you do is release the puppies by the fort. Get some behind the gates. While the guards are destracted by the puppies drive the trucks up and fill 'em up with gold and drive away.

By all means, forward it and you tell them that you're sure that someone is planning to break into Fort Knox. I'm sure they'll take my posts on the subject just a seriously as you are. It's a FANTASY post PQ (do I really need to explain this?). You're a coin collector. Right??? It's supposed to make you think and talk about what YOU would hold most dear if given the "keys" to the Mint or Ft. Knox and could take anything you wanted as a collector. What you would most treasure. What you would love to drag out of there to put in our collection. If you totally lack imagination, I apologize for challenging you to think and imagine. In my ignorance, I mistakenly assumed that it could lead to alot of interesting speculation, and historical interest.

Hammer,

Realistically, the Mints don't tend to have a lot of "good" stuff on display. Best bet would be to raid the Smithsonian's collection. They have a couple of coins there that have only one coin minted, and many where the total mintage is under a dozen.

Thanks for the offer Hammer but most of the good coins would be found in old mints in the old days. All we could find at Ft. Knox is bullion.

BTW, is there a suppository for comic books?

There's lots of stuff that would be great to have from the mint. There are bins of rejects. Some of the items in here woud be priceless and unique. There's a room just for production of medals which would have some truly interesting and rare items. There should be some essentially perfect coins.

Talk about a kid in a toy store. I'd move in.